What's new

Aquarium shops in Japan....

jread

先輩
Contributor
26 Mar 2004
I've heard of the huge popularity of aquariums in Japan. In fact, much of the aquatic knowledge passed around today came from Japanese hobbyists, such as methods of aquascaping developed by Takashi Amano.

I have heard that the aquarium shops in Japan are very, very nice... much nicer than what we have here in the U.S. Have any of you ever been to one? Also, are any of you into aquariums?

Wow, Let Me Tell You !!

On Kyushu, the southern island where it's pretty warm. They actually had a big carp farm. It was amazing!
There were at least 25 pools with different size fish from 1 inch to 24 inches. Almost all hotels and inns have a fish
ponds for decoration. I have to admit, this was 30 years ago, but I think it's still the same. Sorry I never saw any regular tanks or supplies. I'm sure some other people will answer with info!

Frank

Yes, some can be quite fancy like Frank said, but I have been in a few that are no better than in the US. A bunch of tanks on shelves and such - just like any other pet store. I imagine the average enthusiast would find nothing lacking in a US pet store.

Any luck contacting your friend?

I know for some of the larger aquariums like the Port Suizokukan in Nagoya there has been a lot of controversy in the past surrounding their capture methods and display/holding tanks for some of the sea mammals, (orcas, sea otters, dolphins etc.). Sort of goes hand in hand with the whole whaling situation I suppose, but as to whether things have improved recently I'm really not sure.

Mandylion said:
Any luck contacting your friend?

No luck. I really think something may have happend to him for him to disappear so abruptly :(

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone :)

I keep and breed tropical fish, at the moment I have only 4 tanks due to lack of space, my largest tank is just under 6ft.

thereisnospoon said:
I keep and breed tropical fish, at the moment I have only 4 tanks due to lack of space, my largest tank is just under 6ft.

What kind of fish are you keeping? What have you bred so far?

I'm not a very successful breeder but I have managed to breed kribensis, kuhli loaches, Bristlenoses, Apple snails and most livebearers.

I have one tank for livebearers (Gupplies, Mollies, Swordtails etc)
One tank for loaches, eels, etc.
One for catfish, ADF's and snails
one quarantine tank.

Just had a look at your puffer forum, (not one of my fave fish sorry) but I recognise at least 3 of the members from another fish forum.

thereisnospoon said:
I'm not a very successful breeder but I have managed to breed kribensis, kuhli loaches, Bristlenoses, Apple snails and most livebearers.

I have one tank for livebearers (Gupplies, Mollies, Swordtails etc)
One tank for loaches, eels, etc.
One for catfish, ADF's and snails
one quarantine tank.

Just had a look at your puffer forum, (not one of my fave fish sorry) but I recognise at least 3 of the members from another fish forum.

Cool :)

My roommate has some Kuhli Loaches and I think they have bred because we found eggs near the area they always hang out :D

That's too bad you don't like puffers :(

My girlfriend runs a betta site if you are into those: BeautifulBettas.com is for sale | HugeDomains

Back
Top Bottom