What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Apartment building foreclosure

thesuker

先輩
Reaction score
Last month I got a letter from Osaka court (almost gave me a heart attack) saying that the owner of the apartment building I live in owes money to a bank and asking me for some general information. This month I got a letter saying a guy from court will come to check the building and all apartments' condition because the building is going out on public auction. I was wondering if anybody that has gone through a similar situation or knows a bit about these things could tell me what to expect (Will I be able to continue living there? Will the rent conditions change? Will I have to move...)

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
How old is the building? Over 30 years? The older a building is, the more it costs to maintain (and the harder it is to find renters). So an old building might be a target for re-development. But even in this case it will take a few years for a new owner to "empty out" the building. Renters have some rights and protections, so you won't be thrown on the street. I reckon it would take at least 2 years for an owner to vacate a building. Longer if there are a lot of tenants in it.

If the building is new, then the entity buying the building is probably looking at it as an income-producing asset. They probably don't want to spend a lot of money on kicking out tenants and then cleaning the apartment then advertising for new tenants. I wouldn't lose sleep over this, but answer all correspondence so you can get the latest info from the court.

Deibiddo

後輩
Reaction score
Just go to the ward office, they might actually just be bluffing to get you to leave when you actually have the right to stay

Top Bottom