What's new

Anyone here studing the art of wearing Kimono?

JEDIGIRL

後輩
14 Dec 2008
I'm a Caucastion but I have worn Kimono on many occasions in my life. I know some people may think it's werid or even silly when they see someone other than Japanese wearing Kimono. But I don't care. I grew up surrounded by Japanese culture and see it as part of my own. I feel comfortable in Kimono and don't mind people wondering why I'm dressed in a Traditional Japanese garb. (Actually, I like when people ask me. I am proud of my culture and am really fighting to not let the Kimono tradition die out.) :)

I am joining a Kimono Club near me and will be taking some classes on Kimono.

Is anyone else learning? Are there any books you like to use as reference. I would very much like to share information!!!

Last edited:
There was a member from England that was interested in kimono, maybe she'll make an appearance to discuss it with you.

Is there a particular occasion that you've worn them for, or so you just like to play dress-up?

I've worn Kimono at my college graduation, family weddings, Yukata during Spring Festival, and my daughter's Okuizome.

The Kimono Club I am joining is dedicated to bringing back the custom of wearing Kimono, and a few of the older members have made a commitment to wearing Kimono daily. Many of them are certified Kimono consultants.

Next year my husband and I wish to have a family portrait with our child taken in formal wear.

It's so sweet how my husband looks at me when I wear Kimono. It always brings tears to his eyes. I think it's because he is happy to be reconnecting to his heritage.

Last edited:
wow they actually have clubs and stuff?? i've seen girls in kimonos at cosplay conventions, and want to start wearing kimonos, cuz i've read that Kyo, the lead singer of Dir en grey, likes girls in kimonos 😊 not to mention it is very elegant looking, but i wouldnt even know where to start (apart from possibly an excursion to Chinatown to buy one...) there is a cosplay thing coming up soon enough and i want to wear a kimono to that. is there anything i should avoid or know about when i go to buy one??

My wife was studying kitsuke for a while. It involved quite a lot of equipment.

really? can you recommend some books on it or something, pretty please?? i wanna learn so badly ^^ (and i think i'd look kawaii in a kimono)

Sorry, not really. She was taking the classes in Japan. Around NYC though I imagine you might be able to find some group like the one JEDIGIRL joined, that would probably be your best bet.

Hi!

I know there are kitsuke (art of wearing kimono) teachers in NYC but to get started you'll find lots of resources on the internet. I've learned how to dress mostly from books but I'm sure it's much easier if you have someone to teach you.

How to wear a summer yukata

The summer season is quickly approaching, and summer yukatas will be worn by women at matsuris. I didn't realize yukatas were so complicated to wear, almost like a kimono.

Here's a how to wear a yukata video, part 1. Look for part 2, it should be listed on the youtube site at the end of this video.

[youtube]kCZtGi21ysM&feature=related[/youtube]

sugoi!! domo arigato!
i'd gone to chinatown to buy a kimono, but i couldn't find one long enough (i'm 5'10!!!) so i'm altering one into a lolita dress. i think i'll get one of the expencive ones as soon as i have the money for it...

Back
Top Bottom