What's new

Anyone else having problem with Iron taste of wakame?

OsakaMarie

先輩
14 Dec 2011
Hi there! My husband and I have just moved to Japan, are delighted by the food, except: my husband really dislikes the Irony taste of wakame (when kind of pickled in salads).

It's more than a dislike but not quite an allergy. He seems to get a REALLY strong taste of Iron. Are other people getting that? I'm wondering if it's one of those genetic things...

I guess it is an acquired taste more than anything else. Sounds like it might just not be suitable for his particular palate. The "irony" flavor you describe I don't really taste myself but then again I have a pretty bad palate and almost anything tastes good to me these days lol so who knows. Try having it served up several different ways and see if you can't find a texture and flavor that pleases you.

I have to say that in all the years of eating food here and literally having wakame in the refrigerator to add almost daily to a salad or miso soup, I have never gotten an irony taste from eating the wakame.

Like Chef wrote, maybe it's just your husbands palate.

I have to say that in all the years of eating food here and literally having wakame in the refrigerator to add almost daily to a salad or miso soup, I have never gotten an irony taste from eating the wakame.

Like Chef wrote, maybe it's just your husbands palate.

We are Americans and hence incapable of recognizing irony; just ask any Brit.

Wakame contains a lot of minerals - natrium (sodium), kalium (potassium), magnesium, phosphorus, iron, zinc and copper.
Maybe your husband's palate is sensitive to iron and those minerals.
Have you tried cooking wakame? I mean, not just putting it in salad, but heating it. Putting it in miso soup, for example, or with shredded carrot and sliced shiitake mushroom and cook it in soy sauce, mirin and some dashi?
Eating wakame as salad might be too 'raw' for him.
Wakame is not only tasty but nourishing and good for health, I hope both of you can find the way so your husband can enjoy it. :)

It is fine in miso soup for example, it's just when it's in salads and the taste seems quite strong. His reaction reminds me of that of PTC tasters, which made me curious about the fact this might be a particular genetic trait (am I not geeky?...)

Back
Top Bottom