What's new

Anybody on this board into manga/anime for more than 10 years?

tasuki

先輩
22 Apr 2003
I'd be interested in finding out and hearing opinions on manga/anime from people that have actually been watching it before Inuyasha and GTO...

Anybody ever heard of Chibi Maruko-chan? Or Sazae-san? Or Doraemon? Touch?

Konnichiwa Tasuki-san!

I watching Anime/Manga more than twenty yeras, because I am a Japanese and I full grown in Japan.:D

Of course I know all of them, Chibi Maruko-chan, Sazae-san, Doraemon and Touch.
I don't know Inuyasha and GTO in Anime. But I have all GTO Manga and Uruseiyatsura. Uruseiyatsura is the work of Takahashi Rumiko who is the author of Inuyasya and Ranma too. I had have all Ranma Manga too, but I have not Ranma now.:p

NANGI

I just thought it was funny that a lot of people on this forum did not seem to know stuff older than that... I grew up on the stuff too, but I'm from Quebec. In the 70s and 80s, we got a lot of stuff that was translated to French from France, so I watched a lot of the same things as you did, I guess. Candy, Candy; Harlock, Grendizer, Mazinger, Heidi, and more...

I've never found that Takahashi Rumiko's work was so 窶堋ア窶堋セ窶堙ュ窶堙ィツ催ャ窶「i... Everything I read or saw of hers was either too long or too thin. Inuyasha (I haven't read the manga), as an anime, is just WAAAAAAAY too long. I've completely lost the point, which seemed straightforward at the beginning...

My first contact with anime/manga was in the 80's, and the first series that I remember seeing was Future Boy Conan (though I'm almost sure it wasn't the first one) and Saint Seya, while the first manga that I ever read was Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira.

Fortunately, arounde here there was always a anime serie playing in weekend mornings, though the mangas only appeared for sale very late in the decade.

I remembering seing on TV, the before mentioned Conan, Saint Seya, Candy Candy, Harlock, Heidi, Captain Hawk, G-Force, Evangelion, Doreamon.... It's a very long list. :D

Oh, my first videoclub rental was Nausicaa, of the valley of the wind. :)

Born in the United States, I have never been to Japan. And I'm too young to know Anime for more than 10 years. ^^; Actually, I've been into anime for a little over 5 years. =]

- me.kara.beam!
Which confirms my suspicion about being a dinosaur on this board. Makes it difficult to have an interesting anime/manga conversation when your have never heard of Mazinger, Gatchaman, and Heidi...

- lineartube
The one anime I remember watching most regularly was the very first Harlock series. I never got to see the end of it either, which really pisses me off. Then I used to watch this show on which Miyazaki Hayao worked on called Heidi over lunch on weekdays. My sister watched Candy on Saturday mornings and it drove me nuts because I wanted to watch UFO Robot Grendizer on a different channel. Those were the days.

Then, my "relapse" into animation was when I began watcing "Robotech". From there it all went wrong and I became an anime freak for about five years. I still have about 300 or so tapes and DVDs stashed in my living room closet (to the great damnation of my wife). I can't wait to watch them again with my kids...

Konnichiwa Minasan!

to tasuki-san
Candy, Candy; Harlock, Grendizer, Mazinger, Heidi and Harlock! I feel a longing for.
I have the same memory with you, my sister watched Candy Candy but I wanted to watch the another Anime(I can not remember what Anime) on a different channel. But my sister is very strong and I can not disobey her.😭

But I like Heidi and I watched Heidi with sister too. I watched Heidi in the evening.😄

to lineartube-san
I like Future Boy Conan too! Of course Saint Seya too! And I have the Akira Manga even now!:D

to me.kara.beam!-san
What is your first watching Anime/Manga? Sorry, I can not remember what Anime/Manga I had watched.:p

NANGI

Saint Seya... That's one I haven't gotten around to watching. I think it was aired on American TV in the late 80s, early 90s as "Ronin Warriors" or some such stupid title. Of course, as with Robotech (aka Macross), the plot was completely massacred...

hi there or as you would say Konichiwa ;)

I am a Turkish comics collector who has a special interest in Japanese manga and anime. I have been collecting comics since -well been to long lets say about 25 years, and in to manga and anime since the very first Robotech shows have been aired here in Turkey which is waaay back about at least 1 good ten years.

actually since most of you guys are from Japan or in to manga and anime may be you could enlighten me regarding a spesific problem that i have. Way back in the early 80's there was a TV series about a samurai who has been sent to a unescapable island-prison, succeded to break free and went after his condemners one by one. After each successful extraction of revenge he left a flower as his signature. his name was smth like Skinoske but the exact pronounciation i am not sure.

i really would like to know the true title of the series and if possible get a hold of them in DVD or Divx format.

hope you guys can help me get enlightened ;)

so sayonora to you all

That's a tough one. I can think of at least half a dozen animes with that theme for a core. Was it live action or animated?

I remember back in the 80's my cousin returned from Japan and brought some tapes of Captain Tsubasa and AstroBoy. At that time I was addicted to those Japanese live action shows like Jiraya, Jaspion, Changeman and Flashman.
Later, I got into Saint Seya and Yu Yu Hakusho which was pretty good.

Arghh... I never saw the end of Harlock either since that at the time it was playing on a foreign TV channel that we weren't supposed to pick up. :D Damn... I might get it in DVD now. :)

Never watched Robotech though.. :(

I liked watching the original Sasuke, Ge Ge Ge to Kitaro, Kaibutsu-kun, Osomatsu-kun, Obake no Q-taro, Tensai Bakabon, Umeboshi Denkan and the others from the '60s......

then there were the Urusei Yatsura, Uchusenkan Yamato, Ginga Tetsudo 999, Captain Harlock, Macross in the later years...

then saw Armored Trooper Votoms, City Hunter, Cat's Eye, Hokuto no Ken, Tsuideni Tonchinkan, Project A-ko, Sakigake Otokojuku, Ramen-man, Kinniku-man, Zillion, Akakage, Kamui no Ken, Arare-chan and the other wild Toriyama stuff....

I think my mind became bent after watching Tsuiden Tonchinkan, however......and I've met a few people that remind me of Nukesaku Sensei or at least C-ko.....at my work place....and they scare me....because how did they get through the interview screening process and keep coming back time and time again?

the world is not a safe place......

Konnichiwa Minasan!

I like Macross(Robotech) very much, but I could not watch Macross frequently. Because Macross on the aired in the early afternoon on Sunday in Japan. Usually I have spent my time in pleasure on the town with my friends in the early afternoon on Sunday, and I could not watch Macross frequently.:p

NANGI

Tasuki:

I found it, and I see where "G Gundam" came from... it was "G-Savior", which is some side story IIRC. Never seen it, but looks pretty freaky from the box cover...

:D

To Nangi: The first anime I have seen... probably the dubbed Sailor Moon on TV. :eek: Then I got to like anime, so I watched Trigun... then a couple movies... then Evangelion. Then I started downloading fansubs not too long ago. >_> My parents are sorta angry at me for spending my baby sitting money and stuff on anime.

G-savior. Thank you!! That's it. It was pretty freaky. But it was still good to see Gundam as a live action... and realise that its better as an anime. Gundam Seed, the latest series really rocks.

never did get into gundam....or five star stories or the like.....guess I never had the patience to find all of the episodes....and now just can't keep up with all of the other stuff out there... :eek:

Ah! At last someone who feels like me. I tried to keep up the first few years I was here, but I gave up. It's just impossible. Now, I just target a couple of things I like and keep to those, instead.

Been an anime fan (knowing it was anime) since 1990...
But I watched series without knowing since the earlier 80s...
(Star Blazers, Voltron, Robotech, Force Five, Mysterious Cities of Gold...)
Even remember watching a dub of Galaxy Express 999 on HBO (or was it the Movie Channel) back in 80/81...

I understand exactly what you mean...I wish some of the newer fans would try the older stuff, instead of just dismissing it because it looks 'dated'....

I swear...there's something about hearing fans refer to mid 90s anime as 'old-n-dated' that drives me nuts...^^

-Jei
[1984: Nausicaa, UY2: Beautiful Dreamers, Macross Movie...Good Old Days ^_^]

Tell me about it. What drives me even more nuts is how some newbie fans fancy themselves experts but don't know, as you were mentioning, the classics.

You saw The Mysterious Cities of Gold? In English? I'm amazed. I didn't know it made it to the American market.

Some of the dated stuff still looks pretty good, though. I mean Akira and Macross the movie blow the hell out of more recent motion picture productions and were produced in the 80s. But what I find sad about more recent anime is the dilution. Perhaps I'm getting old, but it seems the stories aren't as deep as they used to be... I didn't really like Uchuu Senkan Yamato (Star Blazers), but it was a hell of a story. Same stands for the original Gundam.

Originally posted by tasuki
That's a tough one. I can think of at least half a dozen animes with that theme for a core. Was it live action or animated?
first of all thnx for your response, It was a live action and a pretty good one at that.. his name was something like Anu Sikoneske etc etc but the name of the series is completely blank, since it was aired in turkish and probably named irrelevant to its original title, by the way did you guys see watch animatrix already. if so what do you think of it.

i havenot liked the very first half of matrix reloaded, but the second half was ok, still only a shadow compared to the first film. I couldnot get a hold of the animatrix yet so have no clue, but heard that it fills the blanks in "Reloaded".

so till next time take care you all

see ya

OLD animes rules

Lets see,
first there were candy, sailor moon, heidi, then came the action with robotech, voltron, gatchaman, transformers, then the legendary akira, followed by macross:pluss the movie, the ghost in the shell .. the list goes on and on and on

as the technique and the computer graphics advance the visuals gets you to say waov once you see the trailers or so but as you sit in front of the big screen pr the silver screen, the stories let you down mostly.

to be specific with all the motion picture version of the series, and the one shot movies not all productions address to our fans appetite.
Blood:The Last vampire was a fine watch but not as intriguing as the Lain, where as vampire hunter D was way better then Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

Cobra, Golgo 13, Samurai X, Castle of Cogliostro, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion are fine examples of good animes that i have had the chance to watched, loved and added to my collection.

good old days ;)

Tell me about it. What drives me even more nuts is how some newbie fans fancy themselves experts but don't know, as you were mentioning, the classics.

Right on...according to the newbies at my old club, Gainax only made one TV show (Eva), Miyazaki only had two good films (Mononoke & Spirited) and the best stuff from Rumiko Takahashi was Inuyasha & Ranma...

*SIGH*

You saw The Mysterious Cities of Gold? In English? I'm amazed. I didn't know it made it to the American market.

Late 80s on Nickelondeon in the early morning (very early 5am hour...)
Was great to watch right before heading off to school :)

Some of the dated stuff still looks pretty good, though. I mean Akira and Macross the movie blow the hell out of more recent motion picture productions and were produced in the 80s.

Macross Movie was way ahead of it's time....
I'll throw another one in that category: Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro!
(Holds up very well for a 1979 movie...)

But what I find sad about more recent anime is the dilution. Perhaps I'm getting old, but it seems the stories aren't as deep as they used to be... I didn't really like Uchuu Senkan Yamato (Star Blazers), but it was a hell of a story. Same stands for the original Gundam.

Indeed. That's why I end up waiting around for the next Ghibli or whatever Otomo/RinTaro/Madhouse put out to get some decent meat (or magic)....

-Jei

Back
Top Bottom