What's new

any japanese dishes made w/o fermented ingredients?

leanbean

後輩
1 Nov 2004
for the time being, i am not going to be able to eat any kinds of fermented foods whatsoever. for starters, this means no soy sauce, vinegar, tofu or miso...these limitations do not seem to enable me to enjoy any japanese food for now. am i correct? are there any recipes that i can make that don't have any of these ingredients? i think i already know the answer but i am holding out hope...can you give me any? :)

thanks in advance.

sadly,
l.

no, not for "regular" people, but i'm having some digestive-area problems, so such products aren't healthy for me.

hmmm. reading recipe books. Umeboshi with cooked rice. If you leave out the sauce, you could cook almost anything with rice, or do a tempura. But that's a tall order.

There's still a good amount you can eat. Esp. when you cook yourself, you can just leave out the problematic ingredients.

i am just wondering if i leave those things out if the food will still taste japanese? that's an odd way of phrasing it, i know...maybe a better question is...are these the flavors which define japanese food, that set it apart and make it unique?

leanbean said:
no, not for "regular" people, but i'm having some digestive-area problems, so such products aren't healthy for me.
Hey (semi) snap. I can cope with soy sauce for some reason but anything with tiny traces of alcohol in it (e.g. nattou) zonks me out. 😌

Haivart said:
hmmm. reading recipe books. Umeboshi with cooked rice. If you leave out the sauce, you could cook almost anything with rice, or do a tempura. But that's a tall order.

how umeboshi with rice??!!
umeboshi is pickled...with vinegar and alcohol... he/she would probably explode!!

leanbean,
In Kansai (western part) area of Japan, food is seansoned light.
There isn't a strong flavor of soy sauce in dishes, salt is used more for seasoning.

You can also make stock w/ fish, vegetable, or meat bones and flavor the food which makes it taste like Japanese food.
Although those food and seasonings you have listed are used in many Japanese dishes, you are still able to enjoy food in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom