What's new

Antique cup

Robin P

Registered
25 Aug 2019
I have an antique cup which has a beautifully painted warrior on it. Can anyone read the artist's signature? Thank you!

cupsake3.JPG

OK , now I'm going crazy wondering about the picture , LOL. Maybe you can share that with us. Hopefully , when they wake up in Japan , someone will give you an answer.

second character is hard to recognize. What does the foot look like? Ceramics are usually signed by etching the foot, if it's in the glaze it might be from the painting and not the one who threw the cup

Foot is unglazed. The signature is on top of the glaze, so I assume it is the artist's. I thought it might be a Kutani artist. Thank you for your help.

And, it isn't apparent in the photos, but I believe his cape is painted with a copper-based paint, if that is possible!

Foot is unglazed. The signature is on top of the glaze, so I assume it is the artist's. I thought it might be a Kutani artist. Thank you for your help.
do you mean the foot is unsigned? feet are unglazed by definition.

It's hard to tell from the writing but I could see it being a stylized 九谷. It doesn't match the other stamps I see in a google image search, nor does it match the style of those other pieces.

Back
Top Bottom