What's new

Another translation needed..

Exidez

先輩
23 Nov 2002
病院を予約しておいたりしなければなりません

i understand what it is trying to say but I don't understand the verb of おいたり, would this be おいる? if so what does it mean?
there is more to the sentence beforehand this is why たり~たり was used... I understand the grammar, just not the word used.

Also, I have another translation.. 生まれて始めてリムジンにのった
does this mean it the first time since I was born that I rode a limo?

Unless I am mistaken, and I often am, the ~おいたり is a combination of ~しておく (to do something in advance) and the たり~たり form you are familiar with. But get this confirmed, I'm a bit rusty these days.

Originally posted by Exidez

Also, I have another translation.. 生まれて始めてリムジンにのった
does this mean it the first time since I was born that I rode a limo?
Although I think it should be this hajimete....生まれて初めてリムジンに乗った and probably should also have a time element, such as recently or the other night, etc. The first way, 始めて, sounds more like you were born and then began riding in limos. :p

Mandylion's correct. It can also mean do something and leave it that way.

doa wo akete kudasai -> Please open the door
doa wo akete oite kudasai -> Please open the door (& leave it open)

You're also correct on the translation of the limousine sentence. I guess you can take it to mean that he/she rode a limo while in their mother's womb but not since. ;-)

So what does this 初めて mean ?
what is the difference from 始めて?

Also I have another translation :)
リムジンに乗るのが夢だったのでお金がもったいないとは思いませんでした。I don't understand what it is talking about after リムジンに乗るのが夢だったので..

> so what does this 初めて mean ?
> what is the difference from 始めて?

The first one is correct. The second one I took to be a typo. (Actually I didn't notice until you pointed it out but I'm still guessing it's a typo; Japanese people make mistakes too. ;^)

リムジンに乗るのが夢だったので
Riding a limo was (my) dream so
お金がもったいないとは思いませんでした。
I didn't think that it was a waste of money.

Ok お金がもったいないとは思いませんでした。
I didn't think it was a waste of money

So もったい means overemphasis?

Originally posted by Exidez
ok お金がもったいないとは思いませんでした。
I didn't think it was a waste of money

so もったい means overemphasis?
I suppose Mottainai (勿体ない) the adjective meaning wasteful or more than one deserves comes from a lack of care/emphasis/undue importance being attached to something.

mottainai is one word and not to be confused with mottai (which I've never heard in practice and didn't know it was a word until now). It should be in your dictionary. I believe it's a standard adjective.
mottainai - wasteful
mottainakunai - not wasteful
etc

Back
Top Bottom