What's new

Another token 'What is the best place to live in Japan' thread...

Geezer

The Osiris of this ****
28 May 2004
Well i've been doing my Google research trying to find out what people view as some of the best places to live in Japan, and so far the recurring names I see that people say are the best include Fukuoka, Kobe and Sendai.

Was wondering if anyone has any opinions on here? Bare in mind that I would be looking for something with a good nightlife and not too rural, but I know that Tokyo is both too expensive and dirty to be a feasible place to live and save a little cash.

Thoughts?

I liked Shizuoka City and I heard that it was renouned for being a good place to live in Japan. I don't have much to compare it to. I lived in Tokyo and that wasn't as good.

wide question

Geezer said:
Well i've been doing my Google research trying to find out what people view as some of the best places to live in Japan, and so far the recurring names I see that people say are the best include Fukuoka, Kobe and Sendai.
Was wondering if anyone has any opinions on here? Bare in mind that I would be looking for something with a good nightlife and not too rural, but I know that Tokyo is both too expensive and dirty to be a feasible place to live and save a little cash.Thoughts?
Well, where is the best place to live in Japan ? That is not a real question. The first thing is to give us on WHAT BASIS you want the place to be the best? If It's for pollution, OK, any great City will do it ! If it's for entertainment or expensive living or crowded area, Tokyo would be it, but you said it's out. Good, we have a hint. What is it for you that make life worth living, what is your job, what are your interest ? What are your standards ? Then one can help you with suggestions.
I know, for me, it will be anywhere in the southern Island, anywhere from Fukukoa to Kanoya, and even further south. And it's not because it's closer to Korea....

I just love sapporo, surrounded by nature, cool non sticky summers, and believe me, it's far better than Sendai s***** hole !

Fukuoka is also a great, warm, multicultural place.
Tokyo and Hiroshima are also very exciting place to live, according to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to live in a big city - with all that decadence, pollution, sex offenders, money changers, and assorted galactic space filth (though there are beacons of goodness to be found therein) - I would have to choose Kobe.

Good city, located in the middle-ish bit of Kansai so you can go be a tourist somewhere else, near the sea and the mountains, good international flavor to the communities (a good hospital that speaks English - it is a magical). And it is not flat. You can get up in the hills and not feel trapped in by buildings and concrete (well, maybe the concrete). Decent nightlife, and you can get into Osaka to loot and pillage and still be back for work the next morning.

Of course, if you had any sense, you would stay away from all that nonsense and move to Kochi - where nothing but truth and goodness flows from the hearts of the people and where the greatness that is modern Japan was first forged deep in the longing hearts of a few brave men (along with some jokers from Satsuma and Choshu who played minor roles in that whole Meiji Revolution thingy ;-)).

From my experience(HAHA...none yet actually 😊 ) and what I heard Sapporo it's the place to be for Gaijin, it NOT too busy like Tokyo and it's rather(Like Jolan said) not as hot or humid in summer :) ....and it's close to Otaru(heard it was a nice city) !!!Well that's the place where I'm going to live when I'm moving to JP 👍

hi

Tokyo is the best place to live in,

basically its the big city environment that really creates a good living.

I like Himeji. Its a mid-sized city (about 500,000 people), which means that it is big enough to have decent shopping and some good restaurants, but not so big that you are overwhelmed by concrete, people and noise 24 hours a day like some cities. Its also got the beautiful Castle and lots of pretty mountains nearby for hiking and that sort of thing.

If you are really into finding a place with a swinging night life though, Himeji is probably too small. I'd second Mandylion's choice of Kobe in that event.

Back
Top Bottom