What's new

Anne of Green Gables

dicivi

後輩
18 May 2007
It was a bit of a surprise to discover that so many Japanese read Anne of Green Gables and other books by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Prince Edward Island, where most of Lucy's novels were centered is visited by thousands of Japanese tourists each year and some couples even go there to marry.
I've been teaching conversational English to Japanese students using Skype and web pages for some time and I am now starting to teach using material related to Anne, Lucy Maud, Prince Edward Island and my own province of Saskatchewan where Lucy lived and wrote for a while.
I hadn't taken much notice of this novel before but now I've become hooked myself. Have many of you taken it in school?

I faintly remember the story was in the textbook, and I remember that there were the books, of course the translations, at home, for my sister loved to read them.
I think it is a good idea to use the stories in your class, though it is well-known as "Red-haired Anne" in Japan.

Anne of Green Gables (Japanese title: Akage no Anne (Red-haired Anne) is not only read by kids; it was an animation series featured in the long-running TV program called World Masterpiece Theater.
I liked the animation series, too! 👍

It was a program many kids were hooked on in the 1970's (and into the 1990s). Animation series from that program has been rerun again and again even today.

Miyazaki Hayao, the famous animator, won recognition from animation series he worked on for this program.
World Masterpiece Theater // Nausicaa.net

I haven't read the book. I realize I could search on google or a wiki, but what's it about? One of you tell me.

I remember seeing the show on PBS a long time ago when I was growing up. Had a nice story, reminiscent of the Little House series and that whole wholesome image thing. I could see it being used as a teaching resource because of it's universal appeal.

My good friends girlfriend used to be an actress on that show, it was a minor but reccuring part, she was a kid at the time. Anyway I always joke about how she'd be quite famous if she ever made it to Japan. They love that series for some reason and as soon as you mention you're Canadian it's not unusual for someone to immediately bring it up.

My good friends girlfriend used to be an actress on that show, it was a minor but reccuring part, she was a kid at the time. Anyway I always joke about how she'd be quite famous if she ever made it to Japan. They love that series for some reason and as soon as you mention you're Canadian it's not unusual for someone to immediately bring it up.
Probably because they wish they could be and think and have a life more like Anne. She's almost too perfect (at least so much more than me...:() to be very believable now, but they're great stories for young girls in particular and I sure was also hooked as a kid. :)

Back
Top Bottom