What's new

Anime for learning Japanese

Zore

後輩
25 Jul 2010
Hi everyone,
So I'm currently studying Japanese at an intermediate level. I can speak a decent amount but I feel that my understanding and vocab is lacking behind a little bit.

I am currently looking around for anime that would be helpful for working on my understanding. I recently watched K-ON! without subs and although I understood the gist of it, I felt it might have been border-lining difficult.

I don't really mind what genre, age group, or w/e it's intended for, it's mainly for "passive learning" so to speak. Ideally I'd like to watch something that's not fantasy/ninja /samurai/etc. mainly because of the word usage there is next to useless sometimes :p. But what I'd ideally like to get is something for like 10-13 year olds so that the word usage is fairly simple and the grammar structures are easy to get.

Obviously I hope to start watching more complex stuff over time, but I thought I'd ask people here if anything comes to mind.

Best,
Zore

Hi Zore.
I myself have watched Princess Mononoke/Hokuto No Ken/Lupin III/Grave of fireflies/Haibane renmei/barefoot-gen/Death note/... ,These are which my Japanese friend had recommended me.Whereas i have watched them but didn't take them serious,Ha ha!!😌
I think Haibane Renmei & LupinIII can be so helpful, also simple one.🙂 it is my opinion.

Be Success ^^

Thanks for your tip.

I would hardly call princess mononoke and death note simple animes to watch tho. They both use a lot of weird words and terminologies, but I'll check out the other ones as I am not too familiar with them.

I think it's one of the best way to learn Japanese, although they use slang in the animes but still speaking easier language than in the live action series. When I watch anime, I always find myself talking more and more Japanese :D

As long as you have the passion to learn the J-language, you will be able to speak and understand in no time. As for myself, yes, I learned some from watching anime because I love anime.... (^_^)v

I do really have the passion to study the language and am really an enthusiast. I'm striving hard, and I am able to accomplish it, but I want mine to be more fluently. :) I've been going to many websites to study this language and searching online as well. :)

Hey, same here dude, though I'm only a novice and have but two years to -at least- get some basic knowledge in me. But yes, watching anime has really helped, along with listening to J-Music for the past few days (only J-Music). :p So the best of luck to you and I hope my insight was at least a bit helpful. :)

Last edited:
try Ponyo :D its a really simple anime film and fun too. also if you want something REALLY REALLY simple try a show called Chi's Sweet Home. its 2min long episodes about a kitten and it has pretty basic japanese in it, i mean i can understand it and i havent been studying for that long either :p
also like others may have said listen to j-music...it helps with listening for me...
ummmmmm and for pronunciation i personally have found watching jdrama or jmovies has helped because lets face it... no one in japan speaks like a anime character o_O

Erufen Rito is the closest anime that I've seen to real Japanese Language Arts... But then again, I see it more as a Drama (because of Kohta's past, 8 years befor present setting). Any one know of any good J-Movies (as mentioned above)? I want to test a few to continue my comprehention process... :)

Last edited:
mmm i saw a good japanese film at the movies a couple of months ago... it was called Box! (ボックス!) it was about two childhood friends and boxing and it was really funny XD
1L of tears is terribly sad =/ (as expected by the name >_<)
and i also saw a movie called Udon the other day... it left me with a horrible craving for udon... T-T those are just the first three movies that come to my head when i think of j-movies XD all depends on what you like :D here is a rather good site for streaming dramas and movies if your interested :D www(dot)mysoju(dot)com
ehh we got off topic :( sorry OP >_<

Anime

I find that watching a lot of anime, despite the slang, does help you pick up on things. I like to watch things with subtitles a few times and then switch them off.
That helps, because you already have the gist of the story, and you can focus on individual words that are spoken, withou grasping to keep up with the plot.
I don't know about any specific anime but in general, anime does help.
MaryaChan

Back
Top Bottom