What's new

An interesting dillemma I have when translating...

rquethe

黒い剣士
20 Mar 2004
A peculiar trend I've noticed when trying to translate to or from Japanese for my class is that many times I don't know what the English means that it is being translated to or from. This is especially a problem for translating from Japanese to English. If it's not a phrase I would use or even be accustomed to hearing in English, and the Japanese isn't meant to be translated literally, then how can I even begin to guess what the translation should be?

Grr so frustrating. Anyone else have similar sorts of problems with not understanding the part of the translation that is supposed to be in your native language?

One example just today was translating the phrase: "When the food is too much or too little, please say so." I don't even know what that means. Nobody says anything like that. When the food is too much what? Bleh.

Well the translation ended up being:

食べ物が多すぎるかあなすぎるときそう言って下さい。 If I remember correctly anyway.

"When there is too much or too little food, please say so."

How about that?
Most translations I've seen, the translation aren't very literal as to how it written/said in Japanese. It usually is done so that it makes sence in English also. Just be a little more loose. :)

Keiichi said:
Most translations I've seen, the translation aren't very literal as to how it written/said in Japanese. It usually is done so that it makes sence in English also. Just be a little more loose. :)
I think you're missing the point.

"When the food is too much or too little, please say so." was the from side of the translation as provided in his Japanese class.

Back
Top Bottom