What's new

Americans eating sushi and sashimi everyday

uygurlar

後輩
24 Dec 2003
At the local market I go to, I see these white Americans buy sushi (with the raw fish on top) practically everyday. I have never had the chance to try sushi or sashimi because I am still kinda freaked out of eating raw fish. Serious question? Do Japanese people eat raw fish everyday? Is it cancerous to do so? Can you occasionally get sick?

Well, sushi and sashimi are not the only foods in Japan, so they don't eat those things everyday, maybe not even often to most people.
The other questions, I'm not sure.

theres no reason to be freaked out by raw fish. while there are many different types each with different flavours, most of them seem to remind me of the consistency of ham. are you freaked out when you eat ham? if you are, it may be because you are vegetarian, in which case you shouldnt eat raw fish anyway:p

If your freaked out, soak it in soysauce and wasabi. then lay off it bit by bit. I love raw squid, has a weird taste and consistancy.

They dont eat it everyday, do americans eat hamburgers everyday? Its not cancerous to do so (eh?). You can get sick if the food is off, but thats like anything else (safer than chicken tho, chicken freaks me out).

"Do Japanese people eat raw fish every day?"
some do, some don't

"Is it cancerous to do so?"
no less than eating ham, pork, or beef. err... maybe i should change that...

"Can you occasionally get sick?"

Commercial poultry and dairy products contain plenty of toxins.

I wish I could afford to eat sashimi everyday. Fish that are fresh enough to be eaten raw are expensive. Once you've come to love the taste of raw tuna there's no way you can eat canned tuna fish again.

Only thing I wouldn't eat is Fugu (blowfish). Even in Japan nowadays a few people die each year from the naturally poisonous fish.

Originally posted by Hidden_Wisdom
i bet you the americans made will make it into a fad.Bunch of losers.
my opinoin

Son, what the ___ are you talking about?

What exactly do you mean by "made will make it"?

Sushi has been in the U.S. since the early 1980's in major cities like NYC, LA, and San Francisco. I waited tables at a sushi restaurant in NYC called "Nishi's" in 1984 and there was at least a 30-minute wait for a table everynight. Most of the customers were non-Oriental Americans. It's way past the fad stage now.

I am a big guy and in my family cooking we eat lots of mutton (ie shishlik kabobs). I am wondering how do people fill themselves up on only 6 pieces of little sushi?

How?

By eating more pieces. Everytime I have sushi I eat about 60 pieces. They hate me at the All-You-Can-Eat sushi restaurants. I'm about 178cm and 100 kg. and no fat.

I've seen some eating contests in Japan where contestants eat over 100 pieces. And these people are very small. They've since banned airing eating contests on TV in Japan.

It's understandable that people who do not live near an ocean do not like seafood. That's one of the biggest problems the more than 30 Mongolians competing in Sumo in Japan today deal with--Chanko stew with seafood.

I like torizashi (raw chicken) with garlic and soy sauce - yum!!
I can eat anything raw, but am still not fond of anything overly chewy.... like ika or seacucumber.

Hey sry Golgo_13 i was drunk at the time so i take it back,but sushi has always been eaten at u.s

Hay no problema. Are you even legal drinking age? :D

I got ticked at your "Bunch of losers" comment.

For that, sumanakatta.

🙂

I understand,But thx for accepting my apologi,I have never got a licking for sushi Because maybe i have never tried it but i dont what top order.

Lol ... I have only had sushi once.. it was rice wraps though.... with crab.. very good.. my friend margret made me try pickled ginger straight... that sucked though >.<

I wanna try it but im dont knwo which to eat first cause you know how ther is a wide selection i wouldnt wanna choose something i dont like.

If I could eat sushi every night I would... unfortunately its WAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced in North America. I did it when I was living in Japan with my family, they knew better than to serve me red meat.

I wanna try it but im dont knwo which to eat first cause you know how ther is a wide selection i wouldnt wanna choose something i dont like.

I would suggest starting out with something that doesn't have raw fish in it like a California roll or Futomaki. Regular shrimp sushi is always cooked. Get used to the taste of rice and soy sauce. Then try a tekka maki (tuna roll) for your first raw fish sushi since it's wrapped in rice and seaweed and "looks safe". And be sure to mix the hot green horse radish paste (wasabi) in the soy sauce to dip the sushi in even if it's a little bit. Wasabi is used for flavoring as well as a parasite killer (just in case there are any, but at most sushi restaurants if the ifsh is freash you don't have to worry about it). I used to go to Nathan's in Coney Island, NY to have raw clams or oysters on the half shell at really great prices and bring my own wasabi in a tube.

If you decide you like raw tuna, then try some white fish like red snapper or striped bass.

Eventually you'll be able to try sea urchin, salmon eggs, squid and the like.

Itadaki maaasu! 👏

It was when I lived in US for a short while that I started loving sushi and sashimi. Sashimi in Singapore is so expensive. Sushi in San Jose, California is quite cheap.

well if you think sushi is expensive (insert your hometown?!), imagine eating a full rack of baby back ribs with a new york steak in japan.

If I could eat sushi everyday I would! Only problem is finding good sushi. :( There are places like Edo, but that's not "real" sushi if you know what I mean.

Shrimp sushi # 1 :)

Originally posted by beluga
It was when I lived in US for a short while that I started loving sushi and sashimi. Sashimi in Singapore is so expensive. Sushi in San Jose, California is quite cheap.

Just acouple of questions: Where in San Jose do you get your sushi (I live in San Francisco). And what do you consider to be "quite cheap"?

Originally posted by eimik
well if you think sushi is expensive (insert your hometown?!), imagine eating a full rack of baby back ribs with a new york steak in japan.

Especially now with the ban on imported American beef.

Even a Makudonarudo burger is going to be expensive.

:D

Originally posted by uygurlar
I am a big guy and in my family cooking we eat lots of mutton (ie shishlik kabobs). I am wondering how do people fill themselves up on only 6 pieces of little sushi?

That's not the only thing they eat with the meal. Japanese eating habits involve eating many things at one meal, but in small portions. With sushi, people would serve such things as tsukemono (pickled vegetables), miso soup, tea, and many other possible things (daikon salad, a slab of tofu with paper-thin sliced tuna on top, boiled spinach, pumpkin, for example). Since sashimi is raw fish without rice, you would expect a bowl of rice in that meal.

For what it's worth, Japanese people wonder at how so many foreigners can eat so MUCH as they do! Huge gobs of mashed potatoes. Enormous servings of steak. Large biscuits in gallons of gravy. That sort of thing. The smaller portions in Japan allow people to savor many tastes in one meal and get a variety in their nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom