What's new

All around Sports talk

Mitsuo

The Great
19 Jan 2006
This is a substitute for the Superbowl XL thread. It started to get off subject, so I decided to make one where anything goes, Basketball, football, baseball, hockey, golf..etc. Anything. Anything Sports related and we're good.
Besides the SuperBowl is done and over with.

ANY SPORT GOES IN HERE!
:box:

I think Ricky Williams should decide, NFL or POT. I don't think the two should mix.

I guess that's true, but don't you think he's not too good anymore? I mean he's good, but not take to the Super bowl good. In my opinion at least.

I wonder how good Reggie Bush is going to be? Sometimes I think he's a little over rated. Vince Young too. I think Vince Young will have better success in the NFL than Bush.

QB is a tougher transition from college to NFL than running back is. Reggie will have to hope he doesn't get injured to keep his greatest asset: his speed. Running backs often sink or swim based on the system and OL they have, but I think Reggie's receiving abilities will make him at least a 3rd down back in the NFL.

Vince Young has an odd release, but he's fairly accurate. His mobility won't be as much of a factor as it is for someone like Vick, but it will help. The sky is the limit, and he could end up being Donovan McNabb or have to settle for being Aaron Brooks. The physical tools are there, it's just a matter of where his head is at.

Miami still has Ronnie Brown, who performed well in his half of the running duties. Ricky Williams just doesn't want to play football. He only came back because the Dolphins chased him for money. He's there for money and that's it, and I don't expect him to change his personal habits...ever.

I agree with that MeAndroo. I can see Vince Young becoming an Aaron Brooks or Donovan Mcnabb. But I still see Vince young having better success. But like you said, it really depends on Bush's OL and of course Young's OL, and Wide Receivers. It will be a great time to watch in the next season.

Yeah, the OL is key. Look at David Carr, great QB, horrible line, suddenly he looks like a mediocre QB. I think Vince and Reggie both have the talent to make it if they have the right things in place around them.

It's almost impossible to pick who will succeed and who won't. Look at Ryan Leaf. Yikes!

I think Ricky has the talent to be a top of the line running back. He showed that last year when they didn't go to Brown as much. Ricky lit up the Titans in the last game of the season.

If he could be the go-to guy on a team and get through these drug tests, I think he'd become the great player he once was. That is a HUGE if though.

Ricky Williams' talent was never questioned, even after he came back like 25 lbs lighter. But if a guy doesn't want to be there, it's tough for him and his teammates to count on his contributions.

That's true Beast, that it's impossible to pick who will succeed and who won't. So I will say, who knows.

Ricky Williams isn't as powerful as he use to be. I don't know, I will be happy if he stays in the NFL, only if he's off weed and wants to better himself in the sport.

The OL is just as crucial to a team, as a running back, and QB, and coach. They just never seem to get the credit that they deserve. Even Michael Vick needs a good OL, despite is great speed, agility, and awareness.

Vince Young could well have trouble adjusting to the pro game since he's been compared to Michael Vick, more adept at running than passing. it certainly did help him to have played in a run first offense at Texas. Unless Young can adapt his game to the NFL, he could be a disappointment as Vick is currently becoming. Nevertheless, look for Houston to pick Reggie Bush first since they recently signed David Carr to a long term deal. Speaking of O-line, look for the Texans to take an interest in Eagles OT Jon Runyan who will probably become a free agent.

Two things to remember. 1. Young has had several successful passing games, so he is not just a runner who can also throw.

2. Bush will only prosper with a good OL. He doesn't have the size to run over LB's in the NFL. He can definitely out run them though...I keep hoping that he is the next Barry Sanders!

Vick is a disappointment only if you thought he was going to become a great passer. He's still a great runner, and has his team in playoff contention whenever he's around...which is more than I can say for some aforementioned number 1's (coughleafcough). Give him a decent deep threat and let him use his arm strength. As it is, he only throws to Crumpler.

The majority of Young's good passing games were against horrid defenses (see Baylor). He, like all other running QBs, will have to prove he can do it against legitimate NFL defenses. Like I said before, he'll become McNabb or just another Aaron Brooks.

Yeah, that would good for the Texans if they signed Runyan. There's another step up for them.

CC1 Said: "2. Bush will only prosper with a good OL. He doesn't have the size to run over LB's in the NFL. He can definitely out run them though...I keep hoping that he is the next Barry Sanders!"

Oh my dream is to have another Barry Sanders back in the NFL. He was so much fun to watch. Bush is faster though, so he makes a magnificent back.

Michael Vick only has Peerless Price and Alge Crumpler. Crumpler of course with the better hands. But that's about it. He hardly has any passing yards. It's all him. If they work on the passing game I think they could do well in the playoffs, maybe even make it to the big one.

Peerless Price is overpriced if he's getting the league minimum. He only had good years when he was opposite Eric Moulds in Buffalo. And as far as I know, he's out of the league. Crumpler does all he can, but even with 3 talented runners in the backfield, Atlanta has trouble in the passing game. They've used picks to get WRs, but they need to choose better.

The problem with Vick is that he was hyped to death because of his atheleticism, talking heads on ESPN gushed about how he was going to revolutionize the game and all that stuff, and let's not forget how Madison Avenue jumped on the Vick bandwagon (remember the Michael Vick Experience commercial?) as well, but he hasn't delivered yet, and now he's revealed that he's confused about the offense Jim Mora Jr. is running in Atlanta. As for Vick's receivers, Price hasn't exactly been the second coming of Jerry Rice as he's been decent at best, beyond Crumpler, he doesn't have many targets to throw to. Vick hasn't impressed me much as Atlanta will have problems getting past Carolina in NFC South.

Yeah, Atlanta needs to work on their passing game. I agree, all that hype for Vick. He didn't deliver like everybody thought he would. They should do commercials for QB's that they don't think will do well, then we'll see how it turns out. I like Vick and all, but I don't see him as a Quarterback. It doesn't really look like his brother (that goes to Virginia Tech) will be getting in the NFL soon. Since after his last NCAA game he pulled a gun out at a party. I don't know how that will affect his qualifications.

I think Marcus Vick is set to go into the NFL draft. He was kicked off the team at Virginia Tech for a dirty play in the final game of the year.

He really needed another year to mature as a QB, but I think he'll definitely be drafted somewhere. He has a flawless throwing motion and is almost as quick on the ground as his brother.

He's another Ricky Williams-esque player, one that will be great if he can stay out of trouble long enough. A team like the Raiders who is alright with having headcases as long as they're talented will definitely give him a shot though.

Hideki_Matsui_Beast said:
I think Marcus Vick is set to go into the NFL draft. He was kicked off the team at Virginia Tech for a dirty play in the final game of the year.

Marcus can be set all he wants, but no NFL team will give this kid the time of day, never mind waste a draft pick on him, regardless that his last name is Vick. He's got too many black marks against him from his days at Virginia Tech for teams to risk taking a chance on him. Marcus has "troublemaking early flameout" written all over him, just like Ryan Leaf. Not only will Vick go undrafted, I doubt he'll even get a tryout. You read it here first.

I dunno, Maurice Clarett got a shot this year despite all the trouble he had. Denver didn't keep him, but he was in a camp. If Clarett can get into a camp, Marcus Vick can too. I just don't think it'll be as a QB.

Yeah, Clarett was even drafted on the first day, as much of a bust as he turned out to be. He showed up fat, slow, and out of shape and a great team still gave him a shot. I think he's even more messed up in the head than Marcus.

I see Marcus going late on day two of the draft, to a team that needs depth at QB or CB. His 40 time is way too good to not merit at least a late pick.

And right or wrong, being Mike's brother will get him some attention. I think he could even go to the Falcons with Mike. They seem to be big on Virginia Tech players over the past few years.

Last edited:
Well, I'm still doubtful a team will give that headcase a chance, even if his last name is Vick. If by some miracle Marcus is drafted, he probably won't last very long as he'll get into some sort of trouble and get kicked out, or he'll just plain stink and wind up cut. Any way you slice it, Marcus won't be on an NFL roster when the season starts.

Flashjeff said:
Well, I'm still doubtful a team will give that headcase a chance, even if his last name is Vick. If by some miracle Marcus is drafted, he probably won't last very long as he'll get into some sort of trouble and get kicked out, or he'll just plain stink and wind up cut. Any way you slice it, Marcus won't be on an NFL roster when the season starts.

I can certainly agree with you on that.

I was watching some of the scouting combine this weekend and Marcus ran a low 4.4, but supposedly he's been in the high 4.2 range, which is ridiculous for a QB. Clarett ran like a high 4.5 or something like that. But that video of him stepping on the surgically repaired knee of that lineman in VaTech's bowl game will likely haunt him for years.

Did any one see Kevin Garnett when he threw the basketball in the audience. It hit a guy and he was pretty pissed off. Kevin tried to apologize and shake his hand but the man declined the sincere offer. They ended up carting the man away. I think the guy is thinking...LAW SUIT!!! That guy is a jackass. I mean Garnett should never do that, but he was not aiming for the guy. I think we may hear a lot about this for a while.

Pic of Fernando Vargas from Saturday's fight.

Injuries in boxing are par for the course, but OMG....

Attachments

• a_vargas_195.jpeg
    a_vargas_195.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom