What's new

Airport Customs?

Rich303

後輩
31 Mar 2005
Can anyone tell me if customs and baggage checks take longer in Japan than other countries as I'm not keen on hanging around airports (who is!)
Are there concerns about terrorism,similar to the West.
I'm sure I remember reading something about this, saying that there are more strict checks than elsewhere in the world...is this true?

Also, should I brush up on myツ ニ恥ニ湛ニ竹ニ暖ツ 窶堙昶?堋ヲ窶堋ケ窶堙? 窶堋ュ窶堋セ窶堋ウ窶堋「ツ。ツ I would think I should know the names of the things I'll be bringing... I was going to transplant some hard drives and then just go to a store to build most of the rest, what I didn't bring... how suspicious are ナ?Oツ人ツ is that the right word, I know it's part of the right word 😊

I'm no "bomb toting' Bolschevik". ;)

Customs in Japan is quite slow with all the foreigners, especially Asians visiting there. During my visit last month I was on the customs line for 45 minutes and there were 14 custom agents! I'd say 90% of the visitors were Asian.

Baggage check was really quick. No lines. In the last 22 visits there these past 16 years, I have never been asked to open my bags, nor was I searched. However it does depend on what country you are coming from and how you are dressed. For example, I've mostly seen westerners with long hair and beards being searched more often than not. This is due to the fact that if you look like a rocker, or hip-hopper, they think that you probably do drugs. Also, young Japanese returning from the Phillipines or Thailand are more likely to be searched also. The baggage checkers will usually ask you one or two questions while looking directly into your eyes before checking your baggage or waving you through.

Also, one word of caution: Do NOT even think of carrying so much as joint or any other drug as if they catch you, you will be immediately be transported to jail for at least a week or more and will not even be able to make so much as a phone call.

I was told customs would take about 2+ hours, waiting and all. Mine took... 20 seconds. In Narita Int.. o_o

Keiichi

😊

Keiichi said:
I was told customs would take about 2+ hours, waiting and all. Mine took... 20 seconds. In Narita Int.. o_o

Keiichi

😊
My experience has been five minutes to 2 + hours (the longest during a posted 'terror alert' which may actually have been genuine for once). At any rate whether the other arrivals are Asian or not doesn't seem to effect things either way.

When I was in Narita two years ago, the Customs officer just asked me "Are you with them ?", pointing to my two bosses who had their baggage inspected before me. I said "yes" and I got through just like a breeze. :)

"Can anyone tell me if customs and baggage checks take longer in Japan than other countries as I'm not keen on hanging around airports (who is!)"
people who ain't got illegal substances on they person and possess friends/associates that work within the airport

"Customs in Japan is quite slow with all the foreigners, especially Asians visiting there. During my visit last month I was on the customs line for 45 minutes and there were 14 custom agents! I'd say 90% of the visitors were Asian."
true

"However it does depend on what country you are coming from and how you are dressed. This is due to the fact that if you look like a rocker, or hip-hopper, they think that you probably do drugs."
extremely true

"The baggage checkers will usually ask you one or two questions while looking directly into your eyes before checking your baggage or waving you through.
true

"I was told customs would take about 2+ hours, waiting and all. Mine took... 20 seconds. In Narita Int..."
who was in the front before the counter? if plane form korea or china has just disembarked, better pull out a book

budd said:
I was told customs would take about 2+ hours, waiting and all. Mine took... 20 seconds. In Narita Int..."
who was in the front before the counter? if plane form korea or china has just disembarked, better pull out a book

Yes. You are quite correct. If planes from those countries haven't landed before yours, it can be quite a breeze going through immigration and customs as you mentioned.

budd said:
"Can anyone tell me if customs and baggage checks take longer in Japan than other countries as I'm not keen on hanging around airports (who is!)"
<people who ain't got illegal substances on they person and possess friends/associates that work within the airport>

I think 'Budd' is having a pop at me!..nice

The longest wait that I had was about 45 minutes. The worst part of the wait was waiting for the luggage to arrive. The actual checkpoint was a breeze!

i geuss i wont take drugs with me from amsterdam... hehe

no joke i wasnt plan to do that, after hearing the story from the american jail that was in jail ( i forgot his name, and post) that was pretty bad ****...

well i hope i can do it fast.. ( does it also depents on airports,,, narita is differnt then kansai? or just if it is foreigner or not?)

My experiences with customs

have been similar in Japan and any other place I visited. Usually getting through immigration takes quite a bit of time if you are last off the plane, not much if you are first off. Customs usually goes very quickly, of the ten or so times I have been to Japan my bags were opened for inspection twice and both searches were very cursory in nature. I've been through the old Osaka, Narita, and Kansai, and they all seemed reasonable to me. LAX, now thats a whole different story.

P.S. also if you want to get through the lines quickly have all your forms filled out on the plane before you arrive, (the flight attendant passes them out) and line up in the proper lane. (don't try to slip through the lines for Japanes passport holders)

i heard some story's when you come in america,,, hehe thats not so fun on the airport...

when i was in sydney and my dad came and visit me, he was on the phone just before 30min before the flight,,, and i heard some guy asking him to hang up his phone.... my dad say yes... but just after he said yes, they guy said... hang up the phone or i will Kick your *** out of this airplane...

netherlands isnt so bad i think.... just when you come from s-america you need to wait long... lots of people who put drugs in there stomac ( crazy people put coce in a condom, tape it... and swallog it... )

My two times going to Narita it never took more than a hour to go through baggage claims and customs. I guess I was just lucky. It goes by quicker when people ahead of you have all of their papers ready to present to the customs agent.

Back
Top Bottom