What's new

After 20 years, whale meat returns to Japanese school lunch

8 Jul 2004
TOKYO (AFP) - Served as burgers and marinated with sweet and sour sauce, whale meat has returned to Japanese school lunches 20 years after it went off the menu amid global anti-whaling campaigns, officials said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly 85 percent of public elementary and junior high schools in Wakayama, Japan's western whaling heartland, have begun whale meat lunches with school officials receiving positive responses from children.

"Whale meat is served as burgers or meat balls or marinated with sweet and sour sauce so that children can eat it easily. Children say it is really tasty," said Wakayama education official Tetsuji Sawada.

"The purpose of having whale meat lunch is to let our children know Japanese whaling tradition and whale food culture," he said, adding 57,900 children were enjoying the lunch in the prefecture, 450 kilometers (280 miles) west of Tokyo.

International whaling was banned in 1982 with environmentalists arguing that whale populations were declining and that the hunt was cruel. Whale, a traditional part of the Japanese diet, went off nearly all school menus.

Since 1987 Japan has used a loophole in the global moratorium and killed smaller mink whales for what it calls research. The estimated 2,000 tonnes of meat from each year's cull ends up in supermarkets and restaurants across Japan.

But Sawada said such whale meat was too expensive for school lunch and the Wakayama educational office lobbied for months with Japan's Fisheries Agency to lower meat prices.

"There was demand for whale meat but we simply could not afford it for school lunches. Before, the price of 100 grams (three 1/2 ounces) whale meat cost about 500 yen (four dollars), but now it costs about 125 yen, equivalent to that of chicken and pork," he said.

"Thanks to the help from the government, we were able to offer whale meat for our children," Sawada said.

Japan argues that research shows that whale populations are thriving and provides data showing whales are consuming valuable fish stocks -- points disputed by environmentalists.

Japan says the global ban is disrespectful of its culture. Tokyo reportedly plans to tell an international meeting that begins May 30 in South Korea that it will start killing two larger species of whale considered endangered by the World Conservation Union

Excuse me while I rage and destroy something.

gah...ofcourse..."respect" is more important than the extinction of an animal species ;-) .... :banghead:

As I live in Wakayama and eat whale meat,

I feel I should comment on this.

First, there are several things going on here. 1) Wakayama kids are eating Whale meat again, and 2) the last paragraph which mentions some Japanese people will be attending a conference to lift hunting bans on endangered species.

OK, about number one; I see nothing wrong with it. The species that will be served in schools is the mink whale. Mink whales ARE NOT endangered. To the best of my knowledge no one will dispute this. (Although estimates of the population vary, it ranges from seven hundred thousand to millions.) As long as mink whales are being hunted with sustainability in mind, I see no problem with this. I have no double standard when it comes to eating animals.

Next, about number two; I utterly disagree. No endangered species should be hunted to satisfy culinary needs. It's worth noting that not all people in Japan are for whaling. The article doesn't mention just exactly who's going to this conference, but it would be shallow to judge all of Japan based on that last paragraph.

I've talked to my neighbors about this. My good friend Nobuyoshi has lived in Wakayama is whole life. At 62 years old, he remembers a time when people here ate whale meat all the time because it was so cheap. I agree with him in that I see nothing wrong with killing and eating whales. This is a philosophical issue. I disagree with him on the status of world whale populations on the whole.

Attachments

• minkwhalemeat.jpg
    minkwhalemeat.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 168
Back
Top Bottom