What's new

AEON Interview

Durnam12

後輩
8 Apr 2008
Hi there all! New to the boards, posting about my upcoming interview with Aeon for an English-Teaching opportunity in Japan in the next few weeks. Honestly, the thing that has me most nervous about it is the fact that I will need to submit a thirty minute lesson plan, five minutes of which should be presented. I've never made a lesson plan before and am not sure what format they would like to see or what would be acceptable. Presenting should be simply enough, i've had enough experience in that, it's just the content and what should be written down that is throwing me. Has anyone interview for Aeon or one of the eikaiwas before? I'd greatly appreciate any advice to be offered!

Hey, sorry I am of no help to your topic, but can you give me the official site of this program. I want to try to apply for next year.

JMoon,
www.aeonet.com

Durnam, Here's what others have written.
Interview experience 1 (April, 2003)
I was just hired by Aeon last week and I'm heading to Japan in a couple of months.

I found that the essay never once came up again during the 2 day interview process. Try to do a good job, but don't sweat it too much - make sure of your spelling and grammar though. Spellcheck isn't enough.

The interview process is two step. One group day and one individual day. For the group day I was one of 8 applicants. You'll have an info session and then be asked to teach a 5 minute lesson. You are expected to 'just go'. You can't be stopping to say: 'And now the students will do such and such' You can't stop the charade and ask questions. So just do it with as much confidence as possible.

On the second day you'll do another lesson, but this time, instead of applicants acting the role of students, the recruiters will. This is not as stressful as it sounds.

Remember that the recruiters are under pressure to find qualified candidates. I can't say for sure but I think the odds are stacked in the teachers' favor if you think of supply/demand at the present time.

Recruiters want:
Lack of immigration issues.
Lack of health issues.
COMMITMENT to do it for a year at least.
Some understanding of English grammar (there is a light quiz)
The ability to make small talk/be personable. -

I hope this helps. I researched a bunch of companies and interviewed for a few. I was offered employment by all of them and I chose Aeon because by all indications, they have the best official record, the best reputation and most importantly, the least disgruntled employees. Good luck. No need to be nervous. Let them know that you made an effort (such as by bringing teaching materials to your lesson) and that will go a long way.

Interview Experience 2 (March 2003)
My boyfriend just got a job with AEON, and I think he was hired because he showed that he was a 'people person' - He didn't have any teaching experience or TEFL qualifications or much knowledge about Japan, but he made sure that he showed an real interest in living in a different culture and learning about it whilst he was there.

When they asked him to do the on the spot lesson plan he messed it up but still got hired - because he didn't panic and admitted he had failings but expressed an eagerness to learn and become good at the job. He was friendly and open and I think that worked in his favour.

Interview experience 3 (March 2003)
I went through the lengthy interview process about 6 months ago.
Just go on the internet and pull up a lesson plan, maybe format it to the allotted time, level you choose, etc. Then, take 5 minutes of it and just practise it. Maybe make a handout or something. What's more important is to SMILE. Sad, but true. In my group of eight, I saw some truly sad performances and I'd bet they got a second interview. And I'm sure they understand if you're nervous. Plus, you don't necessarily have to teach them grammar -it can be another skill - speaking, for instance. so maybe type in your search engine - 'conversation lesson ESL' and see what comes up. Also, vocabulary lessons are very interesting.
Also, be prepared to write a short grammar quiz. They leave the room though, so you can cheat [though the stick in the muds I was with didn't talk].
But I'll warn you of something which caught me by surprise: at the second interview, they give you their textbook and five minutes to prepare a section to present to the interviewer. One of the only criticisms I got was that I wasn't smiling like an idiot [not their words].
Relax, have fun, and don't forget to SMILE!

Interview experience 4 (April, 2003)
If you would like a job in Japan, go for it. But choose a different avenue than AEON. Their two-day interview process is an adventure in tedium. The first day consists of an informational session during which they tell you what a wonderful company they are and what an honor it would be for you to work for them. "Experience Japan," they say, though they don't tell you how you're going to find the time to do that with their 36-hour-a-week work schedule. And of course, that's 36 hours a week wearing a little AEON pin: another warning sign that this is another purely financial endeavor that likes to use dedicated, intelligent people as stooges for their K-Mart version of language teaching. The second day consists of an additional ambush lesson you must give on a topic the interviewer will choose before you walk into the interview. The interviewer acts "like a Japanese student," trying to trip you up with obdurate questions and behavior. Never mind that they are engaging in the Mother of All Stereotypes. Questions from the interviewer will then consist of every question out of the blue you can imagine; "Well what do you think about working for a Japanese company?" A little bit difficult to answer since I've never worked for one before. "What other companies have you applied to?" Like that's any of their damn business! "Are you financially able to take on this experience," referring to the 1200 USD they recommend you bring with you to Japan to tide you over till the first check. Gee, I didn't know I needed to be rich in order to get a job! And of course, "Why do want to go to Japan," which I thought I had answered in their silly 1-page essay about WHY I WANT TO LIVE AND WORK IN JAPAN!!!!!! I guess they forgot what I had written! Another way they try to trip you up and find the slightest inconsistencies.
And all this for a job that pays 12-14 USD with outlets inside subway stations. Yes, "Experience Japan for 2 Minutes on a Pittance" ought to be their slogan. And in the end, they denied me while selecting an acquaintance with a lesser degree and no language-teaching experience. So if you don't care about wasting your time and money (especially if you're flying to an interview from a distant location), then go for it. But personally, I'd recommend searching Japan on your own and making arrangements individually, rather than relying on a snobby sweatshop to smooth out your journey to Japan.

Thanks Glenski for posting those testimonies and interview experiences. These are definitely helpful to those that are thinking about going to Japan to teach and are going through the process of interviews.

Just want to add that AEON, GEOS, ECC and the now hurting NOVA are in the business of selling language lessons to the Japanese public and are in competition to add new students and get high enrollement. As such they want to hire teachers who will help them in this respect so their preference will be to go with those individuals with 1) good/fun personalities and personable characters; 2) attractive good looks especially those who look "foreign" (caucasians, blacks, eurasians etc.); 3) those with a willingness to be flexible with course curriculum and learning their teaching methods.

I think the commentary in "Experience No. 4" is typical. These companies want someone who will be an entertaining teacher and not someone who will just teach English "by the book". These Japanese students have already learned English for years in school and do not want the type of teaching experience that is reminiscent of that. It's unfair but unfortunately even if one if highly qualified and willing, you may not be selected by the company.

With long hours, relatively low pay, the inability to have a say on where you will be working and a busy teaching schedule, the job may not be as glamourous or as rewarding as some may think or hope. It will be up to the individual if these aspects are worth the chance to visit and live in Japan for a year or more.

Just want to add that AEON, GEOS, ECC and the now hurting NOVA are in the business of selling language lessons to the Japanese public and are in competition to add new students and get high enrollement. As such they want to hire teachers who will help them in this respect so their preference will be to go with those individuals with 1) good/fun personalities and personable characters; 2) attractive good looks especially those who look "foreign" (caucasians, blacks, eurasians etc.); 3) those with a willingness to be flexible with course curriculum and learning their teaching methods.
I think the commentary in "Experience No. 4" is typical. These companies want someone who will be an entertaining teacher and not someone who will just teach English "by the book".
I'm sorry, but this is not new. It's been going on for decades.

Hmm

Seems clear to me why interviewee 4 did not get the job - negative attitude towards the company! I wouldn't have hired that person either no matter how many qualifications they had. To me, it's a good sign that this company is so thorough in it's recruiting practices. Having experienced the bad atmosphere and resulting nightmare of working with bad attitude colleagues I'm glad Aeon had the nous to weed interviewee 4 out before they caused chaos within their team/place of work.

I'm about to apply to them which is why I have found my way to this forum. I feel positive about it now having seem this evidence that they are a good employer who realise they are employing personalities as well as pieces of paper.

Gress :)

Back
Top Bottom