What's new

About the naming of children in your country

cherry_cherry

先輩
17 May 2007
About the naming of children in your country

In Japan the parents of a new-born baby was forbidden to give the baby an ominous name. They actually tried to name the baby "Akuma" in Japanese, which literally meant "Demon" in English.

People say that giving an ominous name to a baby is illegal.

How about in your country?

Are you allowed to give whatever a name to a baby?

Is it illegal to give a bad name to a baby?

I don't believe there are any illegal names in the USA. I am not sure though if you can use symbols or numbers. This is a really funny web site about baby names and how crazy people have become with trying to be unique or clever.

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

Thank you. Now I remember that America is a melting pot of different ethnic groups. So it may be impossible to determine what name is good and what is bad.

I can't think of the web site right now, but they research odd names. One lady was named "Velveeta"...who would name their kid after processed cheese? What I can't stand are all the trendy names. You go to any school around here and when they do attendance in the morning, it's Kaitlyn 1, 2, 3 , 4 , of course they are all spelled wacky too. Madison is the state capital of Wisconsin, NOT a girls name.

Vendetta isn't so bad. My only concern with names like that is the negative connotation that goes with the actual word, can people separated the word meaning from the name? I would never name my kid a name that they'd have to explain. "Hi my name is Vendetta, because mom hated dad and wanted to get his money, my brothers name is ****** cause she got him again!"

And yes cherry_cherry, in the US there are people from every country so we have lots of ethnic names. I just don't appreciate when you aren't from that culture and you name your kid with a word you don't understand or appreciate.

ナ津オ窶厖? Pikachu
You have to use hiragana, katakana and/or kanji for your name, but there is no regulation on "prounciation" of one's name, so it is possible to have such a great name.

I don't know where he lives, but I hope he lives up to his name...

I knew a girl named Freedom and a guy named Trinity.

Metallica is my favorite strange baby name. If I were ever to have a girl I would seriously consider naming her Metallica 😊

I knew a girl named Freedom and a guy named Trinity.
Metallica is my favorite strange baby name. If I were ever to have a girl I would seriously consider naming her Metallica 😊

Hmm, naming kids after bands? What about Cattle Decapitation for a name?

You have to use hiragana, katakana and/or kanji for your name, but there is no regulation on "prounciation" of one's name, so it is possible to have such a great name.
I don't know where he lives, but I hope he lives up to his name...

Good example!! It's very funny.

In America -- so far, at least -- we don't let government bureaucrats decide which names are appropriate for our children.

If parents are foolish enough to give their child a grotesque or laughable name, the child will suffer for it enough when he goes to school. He'll be teased unmercifully, at least through elementary and middle school.

Here is a basic (and poor) translation of what say the law in Spain regarding to it:

"In the inscription of the born it's forbidden the names that damage the image of the person (the baby) as well as diminutives, colloquial versions of familiar names, names that make difficult the identification and do not match in gender.
Forbidden to name the baby with the same name to any siblings unless they had passed away, and none translations to other language."

So here you can call a baby "house" or "chair", but, you know nobody does it with his/her son/daughter.

Last edited:
In our countre some parents get the "unordinary" names too. But what about the children? How they child will live with that name? What psy-fixation may be created in the his head? ^(
It`s seems to me - parents must very think before getting ubnormal, bad or ominous names.

I think people should be allowed to give their children whatever name they want. I mean, if we look at the origins of names, they had a meaning. Its only now that people don't know this meaning anymore, but that shouldn't mean that we can't create new names.
As for the retards: so long as they keep it up, I keep laughing, so im thankful.

In Finland we have a law for names. Basically it says that everyone has to have at least a first name and a surname (family name). A person can have a maximum of three first/middle names.
The names can't be inappropriate or the kind that would cause inconvenience or trouble for the bearer of them.
The names have to be "understood" by the local writing system. (i think this means that for example you can't use numbers or symbols etc)
Girl's can't have names meant for boys and vice versa. Family names can't be first names.
Some forbidden names as an example: Lusted, Hippie, Zorro, Lucifer, Rambo and, Batman :)

...personally I do think it's good, for the child's sake, that the names have to be checked and approved, as long as there isn't too much control & bureaucracy. Unfortunately there _are_ parents who really don't consider the effect names can have on children's lives..

Chipi: good approach (it`s seems te me). May be hard but good.

Children is not be afflicted becouse they parents was a stupid whishes... :(

Last edited:
If you want to see some examples of bad names (supposedly) given to Japanese children (I'm not sure how they're sourced), look at:
DQNネーム
dqname. jp

I'm hoping that a lot of these are jokes, and that nobody really tried to call their little girl 戦争...

Back
Top Bottom