What's new

About the Andrew debito section

9 Sep 2003
Ok, here this what I see about that section. The at section is just stupid.There's racism in all countries.Their problems in all countries so Japna, not just the only one.I know this site is all about japan, but you guys make it seems like japan the only country that does that, and everyone else's country is perfect.Maybe it's just me, but I think you guys should not argue about how racist and, like in the US, they still have KKK. And like Jamaica, how the people there try to hunt down tourist and stuff. This is from my experience, and it was not good at all. :eek:
So this is what I think about that part of the forum. I think this may not seem right to any of you, but I mean this with no offence to anyone.

i see that, but the title (as far as i know) is

JAPAN reference.com
which, by my observation discusses views, events, and questions regarding JAPAN...
if this was a jamaican forum
if this was an american forum
no offense meant either...

hold on bebbe! i ain't trying to bust nobody out! if that's an opinion, let's discuss it

I ony read one of the articles about the no foreigner policy on public baths.

Showed the article to my English friend, who said :
"If i was Japanese i probably wouldnt want a white man in a bath with me as well".

I just didnt understand what was the big deal about using public baths....i'd rather be in soapland rather than in a bath seeing other mens lovesticks....

Originally posted by Gaki
I ony read one of the articles about the no foreigner policy on public baths.

Showed the article to my English friend, who said :
"If i was Japanese i probably wouldnt want a white man in a bath with me as well".

I just didnt understand what was the big deal about using public baths....i'd rather be in soapland rather than in a bath seeing other mens lovesticks....

Hahahaha, that's the funniest thing i've heard all day.

Josh

I'd love to use public baths, not because I care to see anyone naked, but they're bigger than what you can have at your house.. like taking a bath in a pool hehehe

I can imagine why they wouldn't want a foreigner using their baths though... it's most probably because of the fear that they won't watch the bath etiquette, specially getting into the water without having thoroughly cleaned their bodies first

and that'd put them in a very uncomfortable situation, cause it could be rude to tell you to not get in the water if you didn't clean, also they wouldn't feel confident they can communicate with you to tell you... they'd probably have to leave the bath earlier than they would've liked, not good

so, probably, when I have the chance to do it, I'd go with a local friend... that'd give others some peace, cause they'd feel your friend will make sure you do it right and they could tell him if something wasn't right... after a few times going their, I'd try going alone, since they know my face already

just a thought, not sure if it's this way, but that's how I see it with what little I know about it

One of my friends knows the American guy who was one of the people who got barred from the public bath (Otaru is about 30 minutes from where I live). He said the American guy is a complete f**kwit, and he wouldn't let him use his bath either.

I should probably point out, that my friend is also American (and not Japanese!)

Hehe...

Tiger

::Yawn:: Well I still say having a bath at your own house by yourself is better cause why would you want anyone to see you naked or soemthing.

a year or so ago i went to an onsen in asakusa -- the guys at taito ryokan were responsible :)
the rocks were really nice... but i remembered why i didn't play football in high school

If you are talking about just the local, run-of-the-mill public baths, then I would rather stay home. But if you go to a real onsen, hot springs, they have some of the most amazing baths you have ever seen. Some of them are outside facing the ocean, or a nice garden, or have wonderful views. It is really hard to explain, but once you go, you'll know what I mean. Plus, I don't have the cash to take long, hot baths at home. Water gets cool after what, thirty minutes? Energy costs in Japan are very high, so for many people going to an onsen or public bath is a cheap way to relax.

As for the nakedness issue, Anguz is right. It is a matter of not minding. What you got they haven't seen? You get towels to preserve a bit of privacy. Also in Japan bathing was/is a community-strengthening activity, just like it was for the Romans.

As for foreigners not knowing the bathing rules, some Japanese people have different bathing rules (you don't get in covered with soap, but when can you first get in? Before washing for a quick soak or after? I'll match you person for person on bathing styles). I can understand the communication concerns, and yes, some people are just plain stupid, but almost every tourist who asks me about the dos and don'ts of life here brings up what is the "right" way to take a bath.

Public baths; you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Originally posted by ghettocities
Racism sucks, the only people I hate are red-heads and meter maids, curse them both.
I thought you were halfway cool Josh. Why you hatin' on my red hair?

Well the thing If you see someone your really like in the showers and stuff😌

But about the rasicm thing I am rasist to not culture color or ethinicty. If I hate you its becasue of your personaltiy or you just act really stupid in public places.😄 😄 😄 And I'm happy to be way.

Back
Top Bottom