What's new

A question about "Thanks"

oonter

先輩
18 May 2006
My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Japan. Once I got there, I was so excited about using my Japanese speaking skills. Although, they are minimal, I was still excited. At one point on the plane, I had picked up a pillow for the stewardess and she told me "ありがと ござ増す" and I responded with "ど いたしまして" and I guess she was sort of impressed by it.But once we hit land and I told people "りがと ござ増す" they responded with "ども"...doesn't that mean thank you as well? Is "ど いたしまして" more formal?

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Japan. Once I got there, I was so excited about using my Japanese speaking skills. Although, they are minimal, I was still excited. At one point on the plane, I had picked up a pillow for the stewardess and she told me "ありがと ござ増す" and I responded with "ど いたしまして" and I guess she was sort of impressed by it.But once we hit land and I told people "りがと ござ増す" they responded with "ども"...doesn't that mean thank you as well? Is "ど いたしまして" more formal?

It's nice to pick up some words and expressions of foreign language while one is travelling, isn't it? And use them and communicate with local people is a part of fun. :)

Now, the correct spelling is
どうもありがとうございます。 (thank you very much - very polite)
(If you want to use kanji, it is どうも有難う御座います though these days it is normally written in hiragana)
and
どういたしまして。(you're welcome)

どうも is short version of どうもありがとう (thank you), it's used more casually, like "thanks", "ta", etc.

Back
Top Bottom