What's new

A question about a smilie.

KirinMan

後輩
23 Jan 2007
:eek: anyone ever notice that this smilie actually has "ayashii"
窶堋?窶堙「窶堋オ窶堋「, written above it, but the smilie name is actually okashii?

As most Japanese speakers will tell you the two really have two very different meanings.

Question here......"Which is it, ayashii or okashii? :eek: :) Thank you.
Slow Sunday PM:(

Obviously it's both! :p

I noticed that myself a long time ago, too. I never worried about it much, though, because obviously the one that readers see overrules the one that you type in, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, I've noticed it, too, and have always used as "ayashii," as Mikawa-san says.

The other one that I find slightly different is this 😌
I think this one is the emoji for "hiyaase" (^ツ。^;)
It's used among Japanese as an expression of embarrassment, lack of confidence, etc.
Can it still be described as "relief"?

Yes, I've noticed it, too, and have always used as "ayashii," as Mikawa-san says.
The other one that I find slightly different is this 😌
I think this one is the emoji for "hiyaase" (^ツ。^;)
It's used among Japanese as an expression of embarrassment, lack of confidence, etc.
Can it still be described as "relief"?
Yeah, I remember when I first joined thinking that was strange, too!

Here's another one::) To me personally, this is not "smiling", but rather "smug". Although I do use this one from time to time, in all honesty, I really don't like it.

Some of the smilies are pretty specific, but for me at least some are very flexible, and can be used in many different ways depending on one's whim!

:music:

I agree with epigene. At first glance it's "hiyaase" but the picture can be used to mean "relief".

There are a couple of more smilies that don't match with its caption!

:futon: futon [This picture is about "yasugi bushi": wherever did "futon" come from?]
:angryfire angryfire [this picture is apparently "working out."]

First time I notice it as well.

I do have to say the Jref's smillies are great and much better than the normal yellow smillies.

I've had the blasted things blocked from displaying for so long that I had totally forgotten about them until I spotted this thread.

Now I can revel anew in the splendid job Adblock does in blotting them from my view.

Obviously it's both!

I noticed that myself a long time ago, too. I never worried about it much, though, because obviously the one that readers see overrules the one that you type in, wouldn't you agree

Yes I agree, just a slow day and for some reason it caught my attention today.😌

Back
Top Bottom