What's new

A Japanese Reporter in NY Underground

lexico

後輩
22 Dec 2004
I heard this story about a reporter from Japan going to NY city.
He wanted to study the dark side of NY, and went underground.
There are supposedly millions of sewer rats in NY that will devour a man alive in less than 10 minutes.
The reporter was never to be seen again.
Not even a corpse.

This is all I know.
Is it just one of those urban legands to scare you at sleepovers?
Or did something like this really happen?

never heard of it. reminds me of stephen king's short story, 'graveyard shift.' eww, if you're up to it, watch the movie version...

i smell a rat...

why would sewer rats devour bones? sounds strange to me.

also, even if there were millions, there are only a finite amount of rats that could be chewing your flesh off at any given point in time, say 1000 rats.

food for thought 😌

i think it is urban legend. there is a show on the TLC called urban legends. there also is a show on discover channel called myth busters. my favorite urban legend are the alligators that are flush down the toliets and live in the sewers.:)

Well reminds me of the show 'They Nest', about some African bugs on a rampage feeding on mankind. Gross. 😌

bartbeanie said:
my favorite urban legend are the alligators that are flush down the toliets and live in the sewers.:)

Amusing!! :)

lexico said:
He wanted to study the dark side of NY, and went underground.
The reporter was never to be seen again.
I have seen a documentary of homelesses who lived under the Amtrack railroad in Manhattan. Some of them had lived there for more than 8 years until the city decided to place them into the housing. A lot of them had developed lung deseases, and half of the people on the film died by either a train accident or the infection.

I can picture some Japanese reporter try to be too adventurous and do pointless things although I have never heard about this reporter.
There are other dangerous things besides rats.

Last edited:
hmm there's a website somewhere that is like the all-mighty encyclopedia of urban myths. they've got everything, and responses to them - speculations on truth, etc.
of course, i've got it marked as a favorite... on another computer. oh well.

Back
Top Bottom