What's new

A few translations, please

Grunk

Joe Guy
18 May 2004
For those of you who remember, I need help with my girl again... :?

demo, tanoshinakatta...

omae ga tottemo hen desu yo!

omae ga gaki da yo!

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about the first one, it's a slight variation of tanoshi(the na) that I've not seen before so I don't know how it changes it.

omae ga tottemo hen desu yo! = "You're so wierd!" (lit. You are really strange!)

omae ga gaki da yo! = "You're a brat!" (lit. You are a brat/kid, I think)

Grunk said:

demo, tanoshinakatta...

omae ga gaki da yo!

Thanks in advance.
Translation of the first one: "But, that wasn't amusing..."
-nakatta is the negation of the past tense, low level.

Grunk said:

demo, tanoshinakatta...

I'm guessing this should be tanoshimanakatta, roughly translating as wasn't fun or wasn't delightful.

Elizabeth said:
I'm guessing this should be tanoshimanakatta, roughly
translating as wasn't fun or wasn't delightful.

demo, tanoshinakatta...

Well if he's lucky then there might have been a surplus 'na' rather than a missing 'ma' :eek:

omae ga gaki da yo!

Er, ... judging by those two probably not. 😌

Elizabeth said:
I'm guessing this should be tanoshimanakatta, roughly translating as wasn't fun or wasn't delightful.
Another possibility is that it was a kansai-dialect.

tanoshiku-nakatta > tanoshi(i)-nakatta

Shinpachi said:
Hmm yeah I'd just never seen it without the ku in between, didn't know if it meant the same.
I don't know either precisely, but the manakatta form is the one given in my verb conjugation book, it comes up on IME and has a few hundred google hits anyway so I'm assuming it's valid if not real common.

Elizabeth said:
I don't know either precisely, but the manakatta form is the one given in my verb conjugation book, it comes up on IME and has a few hundred google hits anyway so I'm assuming it's valid if not real common.
Well, my verb conjugation book says that only -nakatta (without "ma") is the negative past tense (low level), and that the -ku (or -ru, or whatever) is dropped before adding it.
According to that, "tanoshinakatta" would be completely regular.

Lina Inverse said:
Well, my verb conjugation book says that only -nakatta (without "ma") is the negative past tense (low level), and that the -ku (or -ru, or whatever) is dropped before adding it.
According to that, "tanoshinakatta" would be completely regular.
And you should then be able to find tens of thousands of sentences online with that usage/spelling to post and show. I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

Elizabeth said:
And you should then be able to find tens of thousands of sentences online with that usage/spelling to post and show. I'm sure we'd all love to see them.
Sure, honey, just wait a minute...
"-nakatta": AltaVista found 1,510 results :haihai:
Some examples:
Japanese 101
"To create the same future, past, negative and past negative Informal forms, just drop the "RU" and add ending as follows:
-ru [Present/Future] will eat (informal) (Dictionary form)
-ta [Past] ate (informal)
-nai [Present/Future Negative] will not eat (informal)
-nakatta [Past Negative] didn't eat (informal)"

Japanese Verbs
"Inflection Examples:
食べる taberu (to eat)
食べた tabeta
食べました tabemashita
食べなかったtabenakatta
食べませんでした tabemasen deshita"

Japanese Verbs, part 1
"Got all that? OK, you're ready for an ru-dropping verb: let's do taberu, to eat.
Plain (abrupt) form, present, affirmative: taberu (eat, will eat)
Plain form, present, negative: tabenai (will not eat)
Plain form, past, affirmative: tabeta (ate, have eaten, had eaten, did eat)
Plain form, past, negative: tabenakatta (did not eat, have not eaten, had not eaten)"
That were only three of them... but I think that's clear enough already :haihai:

Conjugating Japanese verbs is something I've only just started to study. But, being curious, I looked it up in my copy of 501 Japanese Verbs, 1st edition (Roland A. Lange). Here's what it says about this particular verb:

tanoshimu (root form)

tanoshimanakatta (negative, informal, past ind.)

All of the negative forms for this verb seem to have a stem of "tanoshim-" so I looked for another verb with the "-shimu" ending in the root form. The first one I found was

shitashimu ("to become intimate with, to get to know")

All of its negative forms likewise have a stem of "shitashim-" suggesting (to my ignorant mind, anyway) that verbs with roots ending in "-shimu" have negative conjugations which require us to drop the "u" only, instead of dropping "mu" like we would do for the "-ru" verbs.

But then I don't what the heck I'm talking about. It's just a guess...

Regards,

Dan

Shinpachi said:
Hmm yeah I'd just never seen it without the ku in between, didn't know if it meant the same.
It usually happens in kansai.
shiku > shiu (euphony) >shii (kansai dialect)

e.g.
おもろない!!楽しない!!!展開読め読め!!!くそおもんない!!!!!
いや、ほんまに。 いや、ぜんっぜんっ楽しないで
まあ、気にせんでええ、おマエ学校のなにが楽しないの?
最近楽しい事無いわ〜なにやってもたのしないわぁ〜
私むっちゃ苦労して考えまくってる割にたのしないなぁ。
Google

食べる taberu (to eat)
食べた tabeta
食べました tabemashita
食べなかったtabenakatta
食べませんでした tabemasen deshita"

Japanese Verbs, part 1
"Got all that? OK, you're ready for an ru-dropping verb: let's do taberu, to eat.
Plain (abrupt) form, present, affirmative: taberu (eat, will eat)
Plain form, present, negative: tabenai (will not eat)
Plain form, past, affirmative: tabeta (ate, have eaten, had eaten, did eat)
Plain form, past, negative: tabenakatta (did not eat, have not eaten, had not eaten)"
That were only three of them... but I think that's clear enough already :haihai:
OK my mistake--for whatever reason I thought it was clear enough the subject was "ii" adjectives, as in "tanoshii" or "mu" verbs such as "tanoshimu"..... :)

Shinpachi said:
Isn't this for the adverb 'tanoshiku,' not the verb ? 😌

Well taberu (as I learned it) is a weak verb so of course that wouldn't change anything before the nakatta, but that's beside the point.

Elizabeth said:
Isn't this for the adverb 'tanoshiku,' not the verb ? 😌

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but do you mean adverb (tanoshiku) as opposed to the adjective (tanoshii)? So then the negative past tense of the adverb is tanoshikunakatta, and the negative past tense of the adjective is tanoshinakatta? Not sure if I understood you correctly, but if that's what you mean then I'd say I still always was taught and heard tanoshikunakatta referring to the adjective, among other adj's. Zannen though, I won't be able to see your clarification to me for another 2 weeks cuz I'll be computerless :(

Alright, let's straighten things up here. Let us assume that we are talking about Standard Japanese. Then:

楽しむ - verb, Group I. Inflected for negation thusly: present - 楽しまない, past - 楽しまなかった
楽しい - adjective, true (or -i). Inflected for negation thusly: present - 楽しくない, past - 楽しくなかった

食べる - verb, Group II. Inflected for negations thusly: present - 食べない, past - 食べなかった

Group I and Group II verbs are inflected differently, because Group I verbs keep the consonant stem, while Group II verbs have a vowel stem. Note that this isn't possible with kana.

Now, as stated before, 楽しなかった is possible as a negation for the adjective 楽しい in Kansai-ben. So, either the original text is a typo, or she was speaking Kansai-ben.

Back
Top Bottom