What's new

A few questions as a homestay family...

meems

後輩
28 Aug 2004
:? Hi, I have searched a few sources for a few questions I have after hosting Japanese students for the past 3 years and cannot seem to find them - maybe someone here can help.

1. What about the practice of having small hand towels with them wherever they go and cover their faces and also put them on their heads and walk around?

2. It seems that the girls we have had visiting cannot take too much activity. They tire easily (even after having been here for 6 weeks) and sleep ALOT! It is not unusual for them to go to bed at 12 midnight but then not wake up again until 2 or 3 PM the next day if they don't have a reason to get up. They will ask the night before if we have any plans and if I say we don't - they will sleep most of the day. I have even had to eventually go and wake them up so we can do something. Also - during class days, they come home exhausted and need to take a nap that may last as long as 2-3 hours. I don't know if this is simply an urban teenage thing - we live rurally and are used to a lot of activity and outdoor recreation.

Thanks!

I Host .....

Japanese University students for weekends. Mon. through Fri. they stay on campus. Usually all they ever want to do is sleep also. Most also confess they understand about only a third of what the host families are saying.Haven't seen the towel thing, maybe something to do with beating the heat?

Frank

PS - I love to sleep, my favorite hobby. I figure let them sleep all they want to recharge their battries!

me too! my momma and my sister also are like that
that sounds like Japanese people, that they would ask (if there are any plans) in advance.
sounds like Americans too, to change their minds and wake them up after telling them that they didn't have any.
good topic! thanks for posting!

Thanks for the info...

I guess we are a family that doesn't sleep too much so we notice it more than most. I just wanted to be sure and have understanding... that being said hosting students has been a wonderful experience for our whole family - especially our daughters who now have 3 "Japanese sisters" that they hope to visit one day.
Thanks for the help!

"sounds like Americans too, to change their minds and wake them up after telling them that they didn't have any."

I guess I hadn't considered that waking them at 2 or 3 in the afternoon was "changing my mind" and I also assumed that when asking if we had plans she was likely referring to the morning. I suppose I need to alter my communication and give a plan for the whole day rather than to tell her there were no morning plans assuming she was concerned about waking in time for same. Thanks - I want to be sure I am aware of the correct actions in reference to this topic.

eer.. for the towels they carry with them: As far as I know all Japanese carry a small towel/rag or hankerchief to wipe sweat off of their face/neck. There were a few times I've seen some of them wear it on their head.

As for the sleeping: One of the past-times of many Japanese is sleeping.
If you walk around in Japan you'll sometimes see ppl sleeping in their cars with the car still running for air-conditioning. My girl also confessed to "likes to sleep", lol
Even a few students told me one of their hobbies was sleeping.

My school's study abroad programs show that students could stay with the "hosting families" if they agree with some special conditions. Conditions vary based on what school or family the students are going to study or stay with. I am going to check with my school.

It seems like they are just being lazy. I bet you they watch a lot of TV, too.

I would invite them in as many activities as you would like to have them with because they won't be in the country forever. I am sure they will regret missing out the things they have when they go back to Japan.

Its not being lazy or anything, I can survive on 4 hours sleep a day, and did for most of the last year of school. Yet when I went to Japan after a day at school I'd be EXHAUSTED, absolutly run down. Its weird but you have to think so much just to keep track of everything, where you are, what people are saying, etc. Its not easy :p

Most of the girls I knew at my school had a 5:30am wakeup, at school by 8am, school ends at 4pm, club activity (physical, strenuous stuff) until 7 or 9pm then home and doing homework until past 12. If they come here just being up all day would tire them out more than that. :D

Tv?

Actually no - we don't watch a lot of tv and our students have never watched a lot of tv. we include them in many things and they LOVE to do all they can- I think you have a wrong impression. They are NOT lazy - they are enthusiastic and anxious to learn all they can and experience all they can but they also seem to need more sleep than I am used to.
:)

I know for sure it's not laziness... you probably think it is because Americans are generally taught to think sleeping a lot is a habit or characteristic of lazy people.

Those who work hard or are forced to think strenuously (which I'm sure the Japanese exchange students are 'cause I've been told by JP professor they don't have homework and I know for fact many work hard in school and work) may need more rest then others.

They're not use to our schooling system.

Just my opinions and knowledge, please no bashings.

the tiredness thing is a trait of alot of exchange students. Most of my friends are exchange students and they tire quite easily because to speak in another language you really need to focus and as we know this drains energy very fast

When I was a student studying English, I was eager to do something. Sleeping until 2 or 3 in the afternoon unless their host family has a plan for them sounded not so independent to me.

I totally understand that being in a different country, away from home, listening to another language can be tiring, it can make you very strong, though.
I just think that life is too short to sleep away.

Last edited:
Sundays and days off I slept till 1-2pm in Japan. Its not just tiring, its exhausting, you fall asleep just sitting down.

Any clues about the hand towels? Why is it a practice to carry one with you wherever you go? Thanks! Just trying to understand it all!

Back
Top Bottom