What's new

A father with a half-Japanese son

Sasadango

Registered
Reaction score
Good day,
I am a foreigner with a Japanese son (half). I am planning to go to Japan and raise my child there (yes, it sounds ambitious).
Our situation: My son is currently 2 & a few months old. He is already starting to speak some Nihongo. My wife is Japanese and she always speaks to my son in Nihongo. For some reasons, my wife may live separately from us (me and my son). I want to continue bringing up my child in a Japanese environment and grow into an adult in Japan. My son doesn't have a problem staying in Japan as he has a Japanese passport, the only problem is me. I have been looking for a job in Japan even before my son is born, so I know how TOUGH it is. I am currently living and working in Singapore with my wife and son. In a few months before my son turns 3, my rough plan is to study in Japan, bring my son with me, and when my Japanese is good enough then I will look for a job (ANY job just to get started).
*I do have 10+ years in Architecture*
I have been reading articles and posts about single parents in Japan. As tough as it is, I still want to give it a shot. I do have a modest saving which amounts to 8-9M¥ -- to fund my plan.
Anyone here with the same situation (or something similar)? Words or wisdom or criticism are greatly appreciated.
*Btw, I am a south east asian -- which makes it more difficult.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Will you be near your in-laws in Japan? Can you count on them for any assistance?

Sasadango

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mike,
I don't have any in-laws in Japan as my wife has already detached from his parents. So, I will have to completely rely on myself.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
That maybe a tough ride for you. Raising your son by yourself and looking for work. You'll first need your wife's help and you'll need it a lot in the beginning. Hopefully she lives near you. Having been in Japan with a strained relationship (wife and her mother), it is very very difficult to start out, even if you have money, but if you have that much money, stay with the wife, you may have difficulty with the national health insurance system with 2 separate addresses and who is head of household, but anyway. Keep with the wife as long as you can. We raised our child here from the age of 3. You can do it, if after you eventually leave the wife, try to have a mate lined up quickly for you, that will come in handy (maybe).
Good luck, Japan is a land of fun under the sun, just be careful you don't get too heavy of a suntan.

Oh, and I think you mean "her" parents.