What's new

A couple of questions

thesuker

先輩
Reaction score
I've just finished reading the second page of よつばと (I'm doing a page per day) and I understand most of it, but have a couple of doubts.

から - 明日から夏休みだ - Is から serving the same purpose here as 以来 would? That is, to say when something is going to start?
きょとはまつりか - Would that と be a typo? きょう would make much more sense there.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
What in earth have you been studying with that you've even heard of 以来 before you have a handle on something as basic as から?

以来 means "since" in regards to something in the past. You can't say 明日以来; it doesn't make sense. You can use から as "from" or "since" without regard to past/future.

There are several words similar to 以来

以降
以前
以後
以上
以下

Etc

The other, maybe a typo. Maybe you misread it.

thesuker

先輩
Reaction score
I have learnt から, but in combination with まで to establish periods of time. I didnt know they could be used separately, which actually makes a lot of sense. 以来 was me going over my head and looking up 'since' in the dictionary. Thanks for the explanation.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
きょとはまつりか - Would that と be a typo? きょう would make much more sense there.
That's actually きょ, not きょと.

と of the same font

う --> reversed --> 45 degrees rotated to the left

う and と in various fonts

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Please LOOK carefully when something seems not to make sense.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414201670.807817.jpg

Some of this (okay....MOST of this) is due to simply not having enough exposure to reading Japanese yet. But any time your first impression is that a bit of text doesn't make sense, your first troubleshooting step is to ask yourself, "Am I looking at this right?" It is the equivalent of calling tech support for your broken computer and being asked, "Are you sure it is plugged in?" Everything starts from correctly identifying the characters in what you're reading.

thesuker

先輩
Reaction score
You're absolutely right Mike-san. I myself hate it when my father comes and asks me what's wrong with his computer and doesn't even take a minute to try and figure it out on his own. I'll take it very much into account.

Toritoribe-san, thank you very much for taking the time to write that. It's been very helpful and clarifying :)

nekojita

先輩
Reaction score
Just trust your instincts a little more. You did guess right originally - it made sense if it was きょう, it made sense that から was being used for "starts from". I wouldn't expect major errors in a published work like this (not a typo as obvious as accidentally writing と not う) so the main possibilities you are looking at will be either 1) It is deliberate on the part of the author (the character speaking made a mistake, for example). or 2) you are misreading.