What's new

4 Kanji groups

Coffeesan

先輩
6 Jul 2011
Sooo I've just found 'Lets learn Kanji' as an e-book online. I've been wanting to buy it for ages but now have it downloaded and have been reading through. Just developed a vauge understanding of the..

1.) Shokei moji - Pictorial
2.) Shiji moji - Indicative
3.) Kaii moji - Compound Ideographic
4.) Keisei moji - Phonetic Ideographic

Finally things are starting to make a little sense for me. I guess before I had really crap resources so couldnt learn in a very structured way from the bottom up. I'm already looking at various Kanji in different ways now and can sort of work out what the simpler formations mean from how they look etc. Altough the Keisei moji are still confusing the hell out of me...

Anyway about the Juyo Kanji the 1945 ''essentials'' I was wondering if anyone knew how many of them fall into each of the 4 catagories or where I could perhaps find out? I was thinking of trying to learn all the pictorial Kanji from the 1945 first then move onto the others in order. I know a lot of Kanji from all 4 catagories but thats just from trial and error stuff like 私 男 彼 何 etc... You know the basic things you learn at the start when your forming sentences and trying to implement Kanji inbetween your Kana. Would this be a good way to expand my Kanji ''vocabulary'' ? Or would it be better to try and learn all 4 catagories at once? I've read Kesei moji accounts for 90% of all Kanji and the other 3 account for 3-4% each.. So I'm not sure.

FYI, most of ALL natives don't know or even never care about what category the kanji belongs to.

I was thinking of trying to learn all the pictorial Kanji from the 1945 first then move onto the others in order. [...] Or would it be better to try and learn all 4 catagories at once?
To me it makes most sense to learn the most common kanji first, irrespective of this classification. I took a frequency list from a dictionary and worked on them in descending order.

Back
Top Bottom