What's new

1922 book about Japanese Americans

Bunkerhill

Kouhai
Reaction score
I picked up a C. 1922 book about Japanese Americans in California. There are hundreds of photos of identified JA families and while those captions are in English, the title of the book is not. I have posted a photo and hope someone might translate it for me.

Thank you.
JREF.jpg

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
南加在留代表的日本人 平和記念写真帖

Peace Memorial Picture Album of Representative Japanese Living in Southern California

Bunkerhill

Kouhai
Reaction score
An interesting aspect of this book; property of U.S. Naval Intelligence. I'm guessing was used during the investigation and round up of Japanese Americans.

TGI-ECT

先輩
Reaction score
I would like to offer a bit of history related to the final report of the U.S. Naval Intelligence related to the matter you have raised, sir..

From Wikipedia:

<-> <-> <-> Copy Starts <-> <-> <->

Following Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, concerns about subversive activity by Japanese Americans grew more pressing. ONI commissioned Kenneth Ringle, assistant district intelligence officer for the Eleventh Naval District in Los Angeles, to conduct a thorough investigation of the resident Japanese population. He found little evidence of Japanese American saboteurs, and in his final report to President Roosevelt, advised against mass incarceration, a view that was shared by most ONI officials, but that was largely ignored by the Army and War Department.

<-> <-> <-> Copy Ends <-> <-> <->

And I personally know that statement quoted above is accurate..