What's new

100 en SHOP ??

Suki-Yaki

焼肉わが家が一番
22 Jun 2004
I never understood why they say 100 en ?? They sell everything 105 en !

The other day a lady came by , and when she noticed they were charging this additional 5 en she refused to pay . I too think it's pissing off. 5 en means nothing in the Japanese society , so why don't they just say 105 en ??!

Suki-Yaki said:
I never understood why they say 100 en ?? They sell everything 105 en !

The other day a lady came by , and when she noticed they were charging this additional 5 en she refused to pay . I too think it's pissing off. 5 en means nothing in the Japanese society , so why don't they just say 105 en ??!

The funny thing is, the lady was paying 105 for everything before anyway.

Remember, a few months ago they changed the law so that the prices displayed on items must include the consumption tax. So before, everything was 100 yen, and they added 5 yen at the register. Now everything is 100 yen, but the 5 yen is pre-added to the price.

The woman was a dumba55.

mikecash said:
Remember, a few months ago they changed the law so that the prices displayed on items must include the consumption tax.
oh? i haven't been in japan for a while and didn't know. well thank god for that, it's about time!

Exactly what I was thinking...I couldn't remember correctly, but I thought I remembered that law taking effect. I don't buy much in the 100 yen stores anyway. Most of the food items are near their expiration dates and the other stuff is crap anyway...I have bought some cheap dishes there, and a few items like organizers (for school) but generally I stay out of there.

CC1 said:
I don't buy much in the 100 yen stores anyway. Most of the food items are near their expiration dates and the other stuff is crap anyway...
lol. i like going to the 100en shop! i bought this awesome walking stick there, it was slightly curly, not your usual straight walking stick. still got it too.

okaeri_man said:
lol. i like going to the 100en shop! i bought this awesome walking stick there, it was slightly curly, not your usual straight walking stick. still got it too.

Haha...I bought a walking stick at a 100en shop too!

I swear by them. I fed myself for just under 1000 yen a day between a 100 yen shop and a nearby combini while I was slummin' around Nagoya for a couple of weeks. Then again, the 100 yen shop diet is not something I would recommend to anybody for a long period of time. But, it'll do in the short term.

Row said:
i assume u mean Yen ? o_O

It's pronounced "en" in Japanese, so if you're typing in English about a Japanese topic, either would be correct.

Some great things can be had in 100 & 1000 yen shops. Many foreign residents find that careful shopping there makes their salaries go much further. And the doll I got in a 1000-yen shop is identical to onces I've seen elsewhere for $35. 👍

mikecash said:
The funny thing is, the lady was paying 105 for everything before anyway.

Remember, a few months ago they changed the law so that the prices displayed on items must include the consumption tax. So before, everything was 100 yen, and they added 5 yen at the register. Now everything is 100 yen, but the 5 yen is pre-added to the price.

The woman was a dumba55.

lol haven't known that !!

Now to think of it it would have been understood if the woman was like a gaijin new in town , but she was like japanese ...

Just to proove gaijins aren't any less informed than than locals :LOL:

the consumption tax started back in the '90's.....when Takeshita was PM...and they had to put all the bloody 1 yen coins that felt like monopoly money all jangling in your pocket.....the clever thing these shops could do is price everything at 5% below the tax price and just have everybody pay 100yen...that would solve the problem...but then people there can't think that way...so.... :D

I bought some asian stuffs, vietnamese dining pad, decorating papers, wooden blocks from there. Very cheap indeed and that was the biggest 100 en shop I went to in Japan or so I heard. It is in Funabashi Eki. And yes, I hate the five en tax too. For me 100 en means 100 en.

ax

I found it pretty convenient to have the price including the tax displayed with the items. I dislike having to calculate how much tax would be, though it does keep me constantly workin my math skills in my head. :p

Keiichi

:p

kuntow said:
I swear by them. I fed myself for just under 1000 yen a day between a 100 yen shop and a nearby combini while I was slummin' around Nagoya for a couple of weeks. Then again, the 100 yen shop diet is not something I would recommend to anybody for a long period of time. But, it'll do in the short term.

Hehe, me too - Saving money for the must-go-clubnights, with a cup noodle & suntory soda diet :p
Also a nice place to find a collection of hashi, letter paper, cosmetic products, and all kinds of small cheap stuff..in a way one of my favourites, but then again, I also felt a little bit quilty (who needs all that small cheap stuff, after all..).. But I actually wait until I can go in one of those again, to buy a new collection of hashi, chopsticks ^_^

..but I actually donツ´t really understand all this copmlaingin, 5(y)en is quite a small price to complain about.

I love them, and they are great for an emergancy tie when you leave yours at home when you go to work! But even better is kyu kyu store, they have a theme tune that you either love or hate (I love it), and it is only 104 en as they price everything at 99 en to start with.

dadako said:
actually?

no. In English, "yen" is Japanese money, "en" is Chinese money.

I have no idea where you get this idea. There is no such meaning of "en" in English. Please explain.

Yen (Oxford English Dictionary): A Japanese coin, of gold or silver, representing the monetary unit of Japan since 1871, formerly of about the value of the United States dollar.

En (Oxford English Dictionary): The name of the letter N. In Printing, the half square, formerly of the type n, used as a unit for measuring the amount of printed matter in a line, page, etc. Also attrib., esp. in en quad, quadrat, a block of metal half the width of the em quad (see also quot. 1967); en rule, a dash of the width of an en. Cf. N I 1b.

The only difference is whether you are trying to be phonetically accurate to Japanese, which is appropriate in a forum where people are supposedly informed about Japan, or using familiar English usage, which is equally appropriate in an English-language forum.

Yen (Oxford English Dictionary): A Japanese coin, of gold or silver, representing the monetary unit of Japan since 1871, formerly of about the value of the United States dollar.

coin?
gold or silver?
formerly?

the 99 store (104 store) sells the CD of the annoying music. Who actually buys it, I can't figure out. Unless it's for someone you really don't like. I would stay in there longer and probably buy more stuff too if they changed the theme song. Instead, I'm left rushing for the door, wretching and writhing in pain as the voices in my head tell me put that can of tuna through the front window.

NagoyaIan said:
I love them, and they are great for an emergancy tie when you leave yours at home when you go to work! But even better is kyu kyu store, they have a theme tune that you either love or hate (I love it), and it is only 104 en as they price everything at 99 en to start with.

mm true . But , the 100 en SHOP I know opens not earlier than 10:30 . So It can't be an emergancy solution for most of the people out there
(I hereby recall todays' memory of Tokyo's early morning rush-hour ... )

100 yen shops

What sort of things do these shops sell and are their many of these shops in Osaka? Also is May 30 a good time tio go to Japan and are the Gundam model kits expensive there? AM A HUGE GUNDAM FAN and am planing on bring loads of gundam kits back to the uk.

Thanx

100 yen shops? In Osaka? I just went for a 30 minute bike ride and I must've passed 5 or 6. 99 yen shops too. What can you buy? In some of the bigger ones, it's more of an adventure to find what you CAN'T buy. Everything that's on my bike is from the 100yen store, alot of big meals have been made with 99yen ingrediants, believe me, if you're broke, you'll forget what a regular store looks like, and instead get quite used to the bright lights and musak that seems to be popular with every 99 or 100 yen store near my house, or maybe in the entire country of japan :O

Back
Top Bottom