What's new

1)Whirlpools + 2)F.A.O Iron Chef

Rich303

後輩
31 Mar 2005
Hello all,

I plan to visit Japan this coming october and want to see the whirlpools at Naruto, Tokushima.
I've done a bit of research but am still unsure if the whirlpools can be viewed all year round.
I was wondering if anyone knew if october is too late to see them?
Does the current change or lessen later in the year.

Also, I want to visit a colleague in Nagasaki, so I thought that as I am already planning to go to Naruto, Fukuoka would be a good place to fly to and use as a base for a few days, before I head to Tokyo.

P.S...Iron Chef -
I guess you are probably a bit biased, but what's Fukuoka like?
Is there much happening during the evenings?
Is it particularly expensive for hotels?
Will I have difficulty because my Japanese language skills are rather limited?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Rich

I'm not familiar with the whirlpools you mentioned although it definitely sounds like a sight worth seeing. Maybe someone else more in the know can give you a better idea of when is the best time to view them. Nagasaki is definitely worth making the effort to visit, it's a beautiful place and has a quality unique among Japanese cities (imho).

Re:Fukuoka, yeah... I suppose I am a little biased. Heh, it's a great city with lots of flavor and personality (unlike Nagoya), the people are genuinely friendly and outgoing and the local specialty places are really exceptional. You'll have no shortage of things to do should you make the trip. Plenty of concerts, festivals, and miscellaneous events this time of the year too. There are plenty of onsens too in this area (the one in Oita is pretty famous) if you're into that also. Tenjin in the heart of Fukuoka is considered the city's entertainment and nightlife district and a personal favorite.

Hotels are by and large pretty standard although I am sure they might run a bit less than the standard rates compared to someplace like Tokyo. You shouldn't have any difficulty securing cheap accomodations though. And not to worry even if your Japanese isn't so great because the city is "English-friendly" and you should little to no difficulty being able to navigate around here and there. Bottom line is I can't really say why I think Fukuoka is so great... it's hard to put it into tangibles but there's just something different about Kyushu and especially Fukuoka that set it apart from Sapporo and Nagoya (although Sapporo is lovely as well). Hope you decide to swing by this way, you won't regret it!

Very helpful...

Thanks a lot dude,

Fukuoka sounds like it is worth checking out - I will certainly bear Tenjin in mind. Good news about the onsen,too. That's one of the things on my 'to do' list,that I didn't get around to doing the first time I visited Japan.
Nagasaki should be cool because I have a friend there who can take me places he has discovered already.
Maybe we could hook up for a quick drink some time in Fukuoka, if that's cool.

I will look into the Naruto whirlpools issue further. Some of them are 20 metres in diameter,apparently, and there's loads of them. They can be seen by boat or from a viewing platform.
I've been a bit mad about spirals ever since I saw that Uzumaki movie.

P.S...Like the Bill Hicks quote!

Did you ever hear a sketch when he was talking about a backwater diner, and the waitress asked him; "What are you readin' for?''

Not; "What are you reading?", but "What are reading, FOR?!"

Bill replies; ''Well, basically so I don't end up as a f*$!ing Waffle waitress!"

There's only one Bill Hicks....................................................Rich303

Hmm, I think I remember hearing something about those whirlpools you mentioned but i'm not sure. Definitely sounds like something worth checking into though. Yeah, man-definitely drop me a line via pm before you come to Fukuoka and i'll give you my contact info. There's a couple other members who live here also (heya Hiroyuki!), maybe we can arrange a mini-Jref "live in Fukuoka" get-together, lol. Oh, and nice to see another Hicks fan! :cool: That guy was ahead of his time man... he always knew how to cut through all the BS to get straight to the truth. He will be sorely missed...

OK Mr Chef,

I will drop you a line (PM) nearer the time - if I'm still in one piece (there's just been another major terrorist alert in London today)
It would be cool to have a little get-together.

Keep it locked! - Rich303

Back
Top Bottom