What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

~こと

Tomii515

やった~!
Reaction score
😅

So, I looked through GENKI 2, and it seems it doesn't teach this, directly, anyways.

I was wondering, the ~koto/no after a verb and then another verb make it... uhm... xD idk like this, right?:

あなたと日本語で話すことは練習したいです。
I want to practice speaking in Japanese with you.

...right?

isn't ~no the informal of ~koto? OR am I wrong? I was just wondering, likeee uhm. u use '~koto" and then u'd add the particle the situation and/or verb calls for. Like, idk if the above sentence is right, but I put "wa" since it's "i" want to practice.....".

Like, genki taught a while back like ~no ga suki desu/no ga kirai desu/no ga jouzu desu/no ga heta desu, like that.

But, like no mention of ~koto and i tried looking through the 2nd book and i dont see it directly. but anyways, hopefulyl someone could help me out with this. ^^

Here's some example of how I THINK it's usedd:

メアリーさんは本を見ることは見ました。
I saw Mary looking at the book.

今日、僕は日本語で書くことは練習しました。
Today I practiced writing in Japanese.

先生は日本について話すことは聞きました。
I listened to the teacher talk about Japan.

(I'm a little sceptical about the particle that would go after 'koto'. In these three, i have a feeling the it could be 'wo' instead for these.)

:p

Anyways, please correct, explain, give examples, when you have the time and stuff xD

Thanks soo much in advance~~

よろしくお願いします!

Kirakira1232

素敵な冒険始まる!
Reaction score
"Koto" and "no" act as nominalisers. What they do is they turn a verb (in its plain form), an i-adjective or a na-adjective into a noun phrase. These noun phrases can take the place of the object or the subject of a sentence. The nuance is slightly different though.

"no" is used when you want to express something that is subjective. Something that is directly related to the speaker or something perceived or experienced by the speaker.

私は父がお酒をのむのを見ていた。
I was watching my dad drink alcohol.

日本語を話すのは難しいです。
Speaking Japanese is hard.

The use of "no" in this case implies that the speaker is basing the observation on personal experience or a personal opinion. However you can also use "koto" in the second sentence if you want it to sound more formal.

Koto must be used if expressing a well known or general fact.

見ることは信じることだ。
Seeing is believing.

Koto is generally used to express a well known fact more generally or objectively.

In many cases you can use koto or no with little change in the meaning other than the implications above.

メアリーさんは本を見ることは見ました。

In this case you need to use "no" because it is based on your own personal perception. "wo" also needs to precede the final verb.

あなたと日本語で話すことは練習したいです。

今日、僕は日本語で書くことは練習しました。

In this case either no or koto can be used with little change in meaning I think. Again remember the "wo" before the final verb :).

Talking about things that you are "seeing" or "hearing" personally, you have to use "no". If it is a generally known fact you should use "koto". In most other cases either is OK but generally koto is more formal and bookish.

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Both "koto" and "no" nominalizes a verb/adjective/clause. It's interchangeable in some case, and some not.

If use "koto",
あなたと日本語で話すことを練習したいです。
But sounds awkward. Generally,
あなたと日本語で話す練習が/をしたいです。

メアリーさんが本を見ているのを見ました。
×メアリーさんが本を見ていることを見ました。
○メアリーさんが本を見ているところを見ました。

今日、僕は日本語で書くことを練習しました。/日本語で書く練習をしました。
○今日、僕は日本語で書くのを練習しました。

先生が日本について話すのを聞きました。
×先生が日本について話すことを聞きました。

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
きらきらさん@ それぞれの会話の状況によるので一言では違いを言えませんね。:)

A nice compilation of usages to getting started with の、こと posted by member umbaba-san couple years ago.

留学するの(when)は来年です。
会うの(when)はいつですか?。
歌うの(who)は誰ですか?。
結婚したの(who)は彼女の兄です。
仕事をするの(when)は明日からです。
一緒に遊んだの(where)はあの公園です。
失敗するのは(why)練習不足だからだ。
返事が来るの(when)は1週間後です。
勉強するのは(where)この教室だ。
人気があるの(what)は野球です。
スポーツを始めたの(why)は健康のためです。

Sentences の can be replaced with こと.
They are always followed by verb, adjective, adverb, form to do with your emotion. and other noun.

留学すること(の)が目標だ。
会うこと(の)が楽しみです。
歌うこと(の)が好きだ。
結婚したこと(の)を後悔している。
仕事をすること(の)は面倒くさい。
一緒に遊んだこと(の)を覚えている。
返事が来ること(の)を待っています。
失敗すること(の)には慣れています。
勉強すること(の)は得意だ。
人気があること(の)はうれしい。
スポーツを始めたこと(の)を知っています。

Both "koto" and "no" nominalizes a verb/adjective/clause. It's interchangeable in some case, and some not.
If use "koto",
あなたと日本語で話すことを練習したいです。
But sounds awkward. Generally,
あなたと日本語で話す練習が/をしたいです。
「話す練習がしたいです」というような言い方をよく使いますか?

話す練習(を)したいです>>あえて言うならこれかな?:;

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
先生が日本について話すのを聞きました。
×先生が日本について話すことを聞きました。
But I'm just making sure, if this sentence is "(to iu) koto," the meaning switches to "Today I heard that the teacher will talk about Japan."  という感じじないかな。。。

So kiku is clearly being used in the sense of "hear about some fact." And koto is also very specifically referring here to the idea of making a piece of factual knowledge abstract.

Finally, anyone who wasn't paying close attention is able to say 先生が日本について話すことを忘れていました。 (I forgot the fact that the teacher will talk about Japan). :p

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Basically, it depends on the type of the verb/adjective of the main clause to use whether こと or の.

1) basically used with こと
言う、話す、伝える、教える、書く、読む、知らせる、発表する
命令する、要求する、祈る、約束する
考える、思う、信じる、疑う、理解する、反省する、決める

○彼女が今日来ることを彼に伝えた。
○彼女が今日来るということを彼に伝えた。
△彼女が今日来るのを彼に伝えた。(a bit awkward)

○罪を犯したことを反省する。
○罪を犯したということを反省する。
△罪を犯したのを反省する。

2) basically used with の
見る/見える、聞く/聞こえる
待つ、手伝う、遅れる、急ぐ、とめる

○子供が笑っているのが聞こえる
×子供が笑っていることが聞こえる

○電車が到着するのが遅れた。
×電車が到着することが遅れた。

When both こと and の can be used, の sounds more informal/colloquial.

どんな人にとっても、愛するものを失うことはとても悲しいことだ。
どんな人にとっても、愛するものを失うのはとても悲しいことだ。

「話す練習がしたいです」というような言い方をよく使いますか?

話す練習(を)したいです>>あえて言うならこれかな?:;
使いますが、「話す練習がしたいんです」のほうがより自然かもしれませんね。
「話す練習をしたい」の場合は叙述してるだけ、「話す練習がしたい」の場合は「本を読んだり映画を見たりではなく、話す練習を特にやりたい」というようなニュアンスが出ます。
あと、助詞抜きの「話す練習したい」は、かなり口語的な感じになるでしょうね。

But I'm just making sure, if this sentence is "(to iu) koto," the meaning switches to "Today I heard that the teacher will talk about Japan."  という感じじないかな。。。
Right. "先生が日本について話すということを聞きました" sounds something like "先生が日本について話す(らしい)と聞きました".
「という」を使える動詞、使えない動詞、使うと意味が変わる動詞があるということですね。:)

Tomii515

やった~!
Reaction score
thanks so much everyone ^_^

Top Bottom