What's new

~う+にも ・ と ・ できよう ・ と言うので ・ 生まれてきた   

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

1) 一緒に遊ぼうにも・・・けいまくんのゲームは一人用ばっかりだ・・・!!
My question is not really about this sentence but about volitional + にも in general. Does this construction usually mean that the speaker wants to do the action but can't, or that he doesn't want to do the action, but even if he would want to, he still couldn't?

2)どうもお母様とケンかされたようで・・・尼寺に入れる、拉致されてしまいました。
"It appears that she had a quarrel with her mother... and she was enrolled in a nunnery and kidnapped."
a) Is the sentence like this? ...(お母様が彼女を)尼寺に入れると、(彼女が)拉致されてしまいました。
b) Is と used just to signify that the two actions are done consecutively? If so, is it replaceable with ~て?

3)この機械を直すだけなら姉妹をだすまでもない。私だけでもできよう
Does できよう mean できるだろう? So the last sentence translates as "Even if it's just me, I can do it, maybe."

4)屋敷の敷地内に既に敵が何人か入っています。空を飛んだり姿を消せると言うので、重量と赤外線センサーでも調べていますが、もしかしたらもっといるのかもしれない。
This と言う... is it the same as that ってんよ used for emphasizing thoughts and emotions? I know I was told before that this is a colloquial expression and it cannot be used as と言う, but it seems to fit well here.

5) 流れに身を任せたままでいいのなら・・・私はなんのために生まれてきたのだ!!
Is there any difference between 生まれてきた and 生まれた?

6) A:最近、何と結構人気が出ちゃって --びっくり!
B:そこ Aちゃんが驚いちゃうの・・・?
A:あはは・・・でもその結果ちょっとずつ活動が増えていったの
C:Museとしての活動が増えてきたのはいいことなのですけれど

They are all high school idol girls. I was pretty lucky to find these sentences with ~ていった and ~てきた that have almost the same idea. I want to check my understanding of these.

So, ~ていった means something like "...it increased from that point onwards" その時点で活動が増えていった
And ~てきた means that it has been increasing from some point in the past until now.

1)
The former. I would use たとえ一緒に遊ばざるを得ないにしても for the latter.

2)
彼女 is the topic of the entire sentence including the first half どうもお母様とケンかされたようで.
と is for quotation of her mother's word.

彼女はどうもお母様とケンカされたようで…お母様に「尼寺に入れる言われて、拉致されてしまいました。

3)
Yes, that's できるだろう. The probability is higher than "maybe", though.

4)
と言う話なので (=と言われているので)

5)
生まれてきた could be interpreted as the passive of 生む in that sentence.

6)
Yes, that's right. その時から/それから活動が増えていった is more appropriate to indicate the starting point.

2) I would've never thought about adding と言われて there. What about the と in this sentence? Is it for chaining 2 events here?
そして、にぎりめしを 柿の種と取り替える、家に帰って土のなかに埋めました。
This is a sentence from a story for kids, さるかに.

5) I don't understand this one.
a) Aren't 生まれる and the passive form of 生む the same thing?
b) I meant to ask about the difference in using ~てきた or not.
To me it sounds like it is used to indicate direction ("born into this world"). So 生まれてきた seems to be a bit more fancier and emotional than just 生まれた. This is just my guess though.

Thank you, I got the other ones.

Last edited:
5)
Sorry. My bad. I wanted to say "生まれた could be interpreted...".
I'm not sure I am interpreting your answer the right way.

Do you mean that 生まれた could be understood as passive, which in turn would give the impression that being born was an inconvenience to her (and I guess she doesn't mean it this way)?
As for b), is what I wrote correct about the meaning of ~てきた?

Unlike 生まれてきた, 生まれた as the passive of 生む can suggest the existence of someone who planed to bare the speaker. Except this rare case, I don't think 生まれてきた and 生まれた are different in meaning or nuance. And yes, ~てきた indicates direction of action.

Back
Top Bottom