What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question 難しいそうな本を読めた

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
I don’t understand why a な is required here. そう isn’t a な adjective is it? The dictionary says it’s an adverb.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Hi Zizka,

In contrast to what your dictionary says, I do not think we can automatically say そう is not an adjective. Consider the sentence 中国語は難しいそうです (Chinese looks difficult). In this sentence, そう acts like an adjective.

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Doesn’t it act as an adjective modifying another adjective therefore an adverb? Seems modifying difficult which in turn modifies the book? I honestly don’t know.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
For one thing, it's 難しそう, not 難しそう. This is important. The latter is ungrammatical.*

(*At least for this grammatical pattern. There is a separate ~そう for hearsay that comes after the full predicate, e.g. 鈴木先生はなかなか厳しいそうです。"I hear that Prof. Suzuki is pretty strict." Note that the hearsay ~そう is not used adjectivally.)

And the "seems/appears" そう does, indeed, function grammatically as a な adjective.
優しそうな目をしている

When な adjectives are used adverbially, they take に. Same for ~そう.
丁寧に案内してくれた
楽しそうに遊んでいる

etc. etc.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The dictionary says it’s an adverb.
Simply you just didn't look up the correct そう in the dictionary, as same as you did before for 初めて.

そう
Na-adjective, Suffix
2. appearing that; seeming that; looking like; having the appearance of
after masu stem or adj-stem

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
And the "seems/appears" そう does, indeed, function grammatically as a な adjective.

I think I understand. It’s not that そう is an adverb modifying the adjective 難しい. It’s that そう is a suffixe which attaches itself to an adjective to indicate adjective “seems” something. In other words, they’re not two separate entities which modify the same noun but a single adjective which is itself modified by a suffix. I get it now.

Top Bottom