What's new

都南街道

Cala

後輩
10 Aug 2016
On a map of the capital city in a fantasy book I've got this 都南街道 written on a road leading out of the city.

So the last part is かいどう - road, but what do the first two kanji give together?

The first is みやこ, the second one is みなみ, do they actually mean southern capital, or is that like a big city to the south, also how do I read them together?

Same question for 都西街道.
Thanks

On a map of the capital city in a fantasy book I've got this 都南街道 written on a road leading out of the city.

The first is みやこ, the second one is みなみ, do they actually mean southern capital, or is that like a big city to the south, also how do I read them together?

Same question for 都西街道.
Thanks
The reading is となん, and the meaning is the road/street located at the south of the capital. The same goes to とせいかいどう.

Same question for 都西街道.
Thanks

I bet if you look again you'll find the first one leads out of the capital to the south and the other leads out of the capital to the west. "South of the capital" or "south side of the capital"... the name indicates the location of the road relative to the capital.

となんかいどう
とせいかいどう

I bet if you look again you'll find the first one leads out of the capital to the south and the other leads out of the capital to the west. "South of the capital" or "south side of the capital"... the name indicates the location of the road relative to the capital.

となんかいどう
とせいかいどう
Yeah, that's the most possible, but the road/street might be passing by the capital at the south of it, leading east to west. This one would be also called 都南街道.

IMG_0103.PNG

That's what the map looks like.

So, it's the mixture of the two definitions we mentioned; the road passes by/through the south of the capital, leading east to west, and the road leads out of the capital to the west.

I can see カンバル王国 in the map, so you are reading 精霊の守り人 series.

Yes. I'm reading the third book in Japanese since only the first two were ever translated. I really like the series so far. All the sentences/words/phrases I post about here are from there.

Back
Top Bottom