What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

違う / やっぱり / ところ / 憤懣やる方なく / こられる / ついえさって

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Hi,

1. A girl has been telling of some embarrassing incident on a train when she was knocked into the lap of a male passenger. Then her friend says:

明日から電車変えたほうがいいん違う?

a) Does 電車変えた mean she should catch a different train so as to avoid seeing him again?

b) What does 違う mean at the end?

c) The first girl replies with やっぱり? Although "Really?" would fit the context, I can't find anything in the dictionary to support that interpretation, or, indeed, any meaning of やっぱり that would make sense as a question.

2. 自分の大学のスポーツ・チームの試合をテレビで見ていたら、惜しいところで負けて しまった。

Here I am not very sure about the purpose of ところ. Does 惜しいところで負けてしまった simply mean "disappointingly, they ended up losing"?

3. 私はスゴスゴと、そして憤懣やる方なくアパートを出て歩いていると、折よく向こうから古沢淑子さん が戻ってこられるところだった。

My translation: "Feeling dispirited, ... ??? ..., I was walking away from the apartment, when, fortunately, 古沢淑子さん was just returning from across the way."

a) What is 憤懣やる方なく? I can recognise the individual components but I don't understand the overall meaning.

b) I assume こられる is a form of 来る, but which? Is it honorific?

4. 悪運続きという目にあったので、私の財産は、たちどこ ろに、ついえさってしまった。

Translation given: "Having hit a streak of bad luck, my fortune had gone to pot in no time."

The IME I am using suggests ついえさって = 費え去って. Is that correct?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
1) a)
Yes.

b)
She is using Kansai dialect. That corresponds to 変えたほうがいいんじゃない?(suggestion) in Standard Japanese.

c)
やっぱりあなたもそう思う?
As I expected, do you think so, too?

2)
The team almost won the game, but lost.

3) a)
being aggrieved at the situation

b)
Yes, that's honorific.

4)
Yes. 費える + 去る.

ついえる - goo辞書

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks Toritoribe

1c) So, was the speaker already thinking that she should catch a different train, and she's acknowledging / requesting confirmation that her friend thinks the same?

2) Is it possible to assign any meaning to ところ in this case? I am unclear how the "almost ... but ..." meaning arises. Is that something to do with ところで?

3a) Could you explain how 憤懣やる方なく creates that meaning? I can't get anything like that out of it...

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
1) c)
Yes.

2)
ところ refers to a situation/scene, and で is the particle for the situation, like "at".
lit. lost the game at the situation "almost win(= 惜しい)"

3) a)
やる is 遣る "to throw something away", thus, 憤懣やる方ない literaly means "There is no way/direction/place to throw my anger away".

Top Bottom