What's new

言外に・まで・出会い頭

raikado

先輩
Reaction score
Hello,

1) (まで:) 極端な例をあげて、他の場合を言外に推測させる意を表す。…さえ。(まで【迄】[副助終助]の意味 - goo国語辞書)
My guess for what this sentence means is: "It states an extreme example and makes the listener guess the other cases (without them being mentioned)."

The definition for 言外 is "言葉に出さない部分"...so it should be a noun, but it doesn't make sense here.
言外に seems to be an adverb here that shows that what should be understood is left unsaid.

2) 「衣類」は、帯、靴下、肌着などまで含めて体に着けるものすべてに対する総称。(いるい【衣類】の類語・シソーラス - 類語辞書 - goo辞書)
Does まで has that meaning here? ( 極端な例をあげて、他の場合を言外に推測させる意を表す。…さえ。)
I mean, 帯、靴下、肌着など should be considered extreme exemples (極端な例) of 体に着けるもの, right?

3) Another word that seems to be used with a different meaning from what the dictionary says is 出会い頭. I encountered it in a card game. The definition is 出合ったとたん。出合い拍子。.

Challenge title:運命の出会い頭
Intro: 出会い頭に運命の出会いが?!クラスを1つ選んだら、デッキに何が入っているかは対戦してみてのお楽しみ!

For "出会い頭に運命の出会いが?!", the dictionary definition seems fine, but what does 運命の出会い頭 mean?
出会い頭 seems to also be used as a noun for "a car crash at an intersection". More generally, I think it means "unexpected encounter where 2 people/things are coming from different directions".

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
1)
See the following thread. 言外 is not a noun as same as 大荒れ, 上々 or がらあき.

"no" adjectives | Japan Forum

2)
The basic concept of まで is to indicate the boundary of a range both spatially and temporally. I think it doesn't necessarily connotes the nuance of "extreme" there.

3)
It's used as the meaning 出会い頭の対戦/対決/出会い or like that. Have you ever seen an expression something like 彼が聞いた運命の大好き? This 大好き is actually 「大好き」, i.e., 大好きというセリフ. 出会い頭 is the similar usage to this there.

raikado

先輩
Reaction score
1) I see. Then the dictionary definition is really misleading. Especially when compared to the definitions of the other 3 words.
For my original example, would 極端な例をあげて、他の場合を言葉に出さなかったままに推測させる意を表す be a good interpretation?

2) Thank you! I wasn't sure if it was #4 まで, or just the regular one.

3) No, I haven't seen it. It actually took me a while to understand that sentence, but that was mainly because of 運命の. Thank you! I've probably seen this kind of thing before but I wasn't aware of it.

4) I had one more question to ask, but the post was getting quite long. Another challenge from the same card game:
Title: 出会い頭の出会い
Text: いっけなーい!遅刻遅刻!私、ヒーロー子。別のヒーローとぶつかっちゃって、デッキに2クラス分のカードがランダムに混ざっちゃった!

How do you read the 子 in ヒーロー子? Is it こ? ( 名詞や動詞の連用形に付いて、その仕事をする人や物の意を表す。; こ【子/児】の意味 - goo国語辞書)

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
1)
Yes, but it should be 言葉に出さないままに. 出さないで is more common, though.

2)
I'm sure it shows that the speaker is a girl.

raikado

先輩
Reaction score
1) Ah, right. Thanks!

2) Thank you! That didn't even cross my mind. There was also a drawing showing 2 guys bumping into each other, so that's why I didn't consider it.