What's new

考えてあげましょう / 所 / でしょう / なあに / 取れる

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hello,

1. This is a topic for a composition exercise:

あなたがこれまでに行ったことがある場所について、遠 くにいる友だちに絵はがきを書いて考えてあげましょう 。

I assume the instructions are basically to write a postcard about a place you've visited to a friend who lives far away. However, I don't understand 考えてあげましょう. What does that mean?

2. このごろアメリカの主な大学では、日本の大学と交換プ ログラムをやっている所が多い。

My translation: "These days, many major American universities run exchange programmes with Japanese universities."

Does 所 mean "place", referring to 主な大学, with で having the sense of "among"? I'm half thinking in that case で ought to be に... ?

キム: ケンさん、ちょっとお願いがあるんですけど。
ケン: 何ですか。
キム: きょう、山田さんの家に集まるでしょう。でも 、私、行けなくなったんです。
ケン: え?どうして。
キム: あしたまでに出さなければならないレポートがまだ終わらなくて。

Couple of things I'm not clear about:

a) Is でしょう anything more than future tense here? I'm often unsure about how much element of doubt is indicated by だろう / でしょう.

b) Why is the ~て form 終わらなくて used? At first I wondered if it was short for 終わらなくてはならない, but that appears not to make sense with まだ.

キャロル: 悪いけど、一つ頼んでもいい?
ゆり: なあに。

I can't find it in the dictionary, but I guess なあに is just some (more emphatic?) variant of なに?

5. そこでは日本語の時間が一番多いが、そのほか日本の文 学、歴史、経済、政治、宗教などのコースが英語で取れる。

My translation: "Most of the time there is spent on Japanese language (studies), but you can also take English-language courses in Japanese literature, history, economics, politics, religion, and so on."

Is 取れる simply the potential form of 取る? I sometimes get confused about whether it's the apparently separate verb 取れる, listed in the dictionary with various meanings.

1. This is a topic for a composition exercise:
あなたがこれまでに行ったことがある場所について、遠 くにいる友だちに絵はがきを書いて考えてあげましょう 。
I assume the instructions are basically to write a postcard about a place you've visited to a friend who lives far away. However, I don't understand 考えてあげましょう. What does that mean?
2. このごろアメリカの主な大学では、日本の大学と交換プ ログラムをやっている所が多い。
My translation: "These days, many major American universities run exchange programmes with Japanese universities."
Does 所 mean "place", referring to 主な大学, with で having the sense of "among"? I'm half thinking in that case で ought to be に... ?

-Yes.所 means place. 「には」 is used more with existence. 「では」 is used more with action.

キム: きょう、山田さんの家に集まるでしょう。でも 、私、行けなくなったんです。
a) Is でしょう anything more than future tense here? I'm often unsure about how much element of doubt is indicated by だろう / でしょう.
->でしょう is about 70%-80% sure. だろう: i wonder..

b) Why is the ~て form 終わらなくて used? At first I wondered if it was short for 終わらなくてはならない, but that appears not to make sense with まだ.

->In this case, it signifies that キム still has something more to say...
e.g
A: 「田中さん、どうしてレポートを出しませんでしたか」
B: 「ちょっと熱があって」

キャロル: 悪いけど、一つ頼んでもいい?
ゆり: なあに。
I can't find it in the dictionary, but I guess なあに is just some (more emphatic?) variant of なに?
-Yes

5. そこでは日本語の時間が一番多いが、そのほか日本の文 学、歴史、経済、政治、宗教などのコースが英語で取れる。
My translation: "Most of the time there is spent on Japanese language (studies), but you can also take English-language courses in Japanese literature, history, economics, politics, religion, and so on."
Is 取れる simply the potential form of 取る? I sometimes get confused about whether it's the apparently separate verb 取れる, listed in the dictionary with various meanings.
-Yes, you are right, in this case, 取れる is a potential form of 取る。 it can also mean
取れる とれる
(v1,vi,vt) to come off; to be removed; (of pain, a fever, etc.) to disappear; to be caught; to be harvested; to be interpreted (as); to be taken as; (of balance, etc.) to be attained; (P)

キム: きょう、山田さんの家に集まるでしょう。でも、私、行けなくなったんです。

Here the element of doubt in でしょう is exactly ZERO percent. This construction is used to bring up a topic about which both parties are already acquainted with the particulars.

Compare:

1. Do you know about the party at Yamada's house?
2. You know that party at Yamada's house?

The first assumes no knowledge of it. The second, while worded as a question, assumes full knowledge of it and merely signals that you're about to say something regarding it. It is just a conversational device.

Same thing going on in that sentence with でしょう

As you know, て form can be simply continuative. In cases like this where it ends an utterance it is because what comes afterwards can easily be inferred. It is easily understood that (a)the report must be finished and (b)the speaker has no spare time to be fooling away going to a gathering at Yamada's house. This is just a device for truncating the obvious.

Thank you both for your help. (Anyone got any idea about question 1?)

Here the element of doubt in でしょう is exactly ZERO percent. This construction is used to bring up a topic about which both parties are already acquainted with the particulars.
In this "bringing up a topic" usage, is there much difference between でしょう and ですが... ?

T
Thank you both for your help. (Anyone got any idea about question 1?)
In this "bringing up a topic" usage, is there much difference between でしょう and ですが... ?

In this situation ですが would sound like the other person didn't already know about it.

1)
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. Maybe it's a typo of えてあげましょう, as always happend in your textbook?;-)

2)
Both で and に are possible. The difference is subtle in this case, but the meanings could be changed depending on the verb or context.

A. 郊外では引っ越す人が多い。
B. 郊外には引っ越す人が多い。

The sentence A means that "There are many people who move out from the suburbs". で indicates the location of the action "moving". Whereas about B, it can have the same meaning to A, but also can mean "There are many people who move to the suburbs", since に can indicate the direction of the action "moving". は acts as the contrastive marker here.

3) a)
Incidentally, the sentence is said with the rising intonation でしょう?

4)
なあに sounds more soft/gentle/tender than なに.

5)
時間 means 授業 "class" in this case.

4 授業や勤務など、ある一定の区切られた長さの時。「算数の―」「勤務―」
時間(じかん)の意味 - goo国語辞書

Back
Top Bottom