What's new

禁煙時間

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi again,

1. Someone has asked if they can smoke. The reply is "ああ、今、禁煙時間なんです。" Does this mean "It's no smoking time" (i.e. no smoking at this time)?

2. Same situation, and the reply is "ちょっとまってくださいよ。ああ、まだ3時ですね。どうぞ。" I'm not clear about the sense of まだ. Does it mean it's only 3 o'clock (i.e. it isn't later), or does it mean it's now/already 3 o'clock (i.e. it isn't earlier)?

3. I am slightly perplexed in both cases by the implication that smoking is permitted in some places at certain times of the day. I've never come across such a thing. Is it a Japanese custom?

1. Someone has asked if they can smoke. The reply is "ああ、今、禁煙時間なんです。" Does this mean "It's no smoking time" (i.e. no smoking at this time)?
Yes.

2. Same situation, and the reply is "ちょっとまってくださいよ。ああ、まだ3時ですね。あ ヌうぞ。" I'm not clear about the sense of まだ. Does it mean it's only 3 o'clock (i.e. it isn't later), or does it mean it's now/already 3 o'clock (i.e. it isn't earlier)?
The former. (e.g. The limit of time is 4:00.)

3. I am slightly perplexed in both cases by the implication that smoking is permitted in some places at certain times of the day. I've never come across such a thing. Is it a Japanese custom?
It is possible in some stores/restaurants.

There are places with a two or three non-smoking time for the lunchtime and dinnertime rush.

Japan is one of the world's biggest consumers of cigarettes, but there is actually a lot of fuss about recently towards prefectural and nationwide bans on lighting up in restaurants, bars and other public places. 👍

Back
Top Bottom