What's new

目の泉

Annick

後輩
4 Aug 2015
Hi! I came across this sentence
その目の奥の透明な泉さえ感じられるのでした.
The translation given was "I can feel like there is even a fountain in the back of his eyes"
What does that mean exactly? Is it an expression? Spring of life?

目の泉... Never heard of it as an expression. Google-sensei is teaching me nothing about it as well. I take it this is meant to be a flattering expression? If so, I can only guess it alludes to the clarity, purity (i.e. the beauty) of the eyes of the person being spoken about. In English we have the cliche "your eyes are like limpid pools" - I suspect this reference to a fountain is supposed to evoke the same image of shimmery, watery clarity.

The interpretation "spring of life" can't be correct. 泉 can only mean "spring" as fountain, and never means "spring" as a season.

Yes it was I meant, a spring (water)...my example wasn't clear enough. I was not sure if it meant lively, sparkly, calm etc, That's why I asked if it was an expression (or linked to philosophy) but it seems it's not an expression..and more a poetic way to describe the character.

Shimmery would be good I guess.

It looks like 泉 is used as a figurative or literary expression...a well (natural well), a wellspring, a source, a fountainhead, a spring, a pool, etc. Maybe even soul, life, essence, or spirit in this case.

Not 目の泉, but 目の*奥の*泉, or the "泉" that lies deep underneath, behind, far into, etc.

Back
Top Bottom