What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

申し込まなくてもいい / それをしないまま / と言えるのではないだろうか / もう / しそうな

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Hi,

1. チャンスはこれっきりですよ。申し込まなくてもいいん ですか。

To me this looks like "This is my only/last chance. Is it OK if I don't apply/reserve/request?"

Although I do not understand the exact sense in which 申し込む is used, I can't see any meaning that works with the first sentence. It seems to me that if it was your last chance then you WOULD want to do whatever 申し込む means. Obviously I am misunderstanding something...

2. This is part of an explanation of the usage of 「動詞た形」きり、それっきり、あれっきり:

「普通はそれをしたら、次の行動をするのだが、それを しないまま、ずっと続いている」という内容の文になる 。

My guess is: "(This expression) gives the sentence a sense of 'when one thing is done another usually follows, but (in this case) things continue in the same way without the second thing happening'."

I am not very confident about this, and I am getting a bit confused about what the それ's are referring to. I think my interpretation depends on それ in それをしない referring to not doing 次の行動をする, while まま refers to the それ in それをしたら continuing.

Maybe the above makes no sense at all, in which case please scrap my attempt and start again with the correct interpretation.

3. ___________________。それでこそ 、一人前の大人と言えるのではないだろうか。

This is an exercise where the student is supposed to complete the first sentence in some suitable way. Does ~ と言えるのではないだろうか essentially mean "Couldn't you say ~?" Is the first sentence supposed to be a reason why a young man or woman might now be considered an adult (e.g. they've moved out of their parents' house and are supporting themselves independently)?

4. ガルフポートで一番のフライドチキンと言ったら、それはもうおば あちゃんの台所ですよ 。

Translation given: "For the best fried chicken in Gulfport, go to Grandma's Kitchen."

What is the purpose of もう in this sentence? Is it for emphasis?

5. 遅刻しそうな時に限って、電話が__________ __。

I believe this is basically saying the telephone always / only ever seems to ring when I'm running late, but I am unclear about the reason for しそうな. Why not する or した?

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Your problem with #1 stems from using the first person pronoun. Try it again with second person.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
2)
The two それs both refer to 動詞た形, それ(in それをしないまま), あれ.

3)
Your interpretation about what the first sentence is supposed to be is correct, but 言えるのではないだろうか basically means 言えると思う.

4)
Yes. It's close to それは/そりゃもちろん.

5)
Even if the telephone rings, it doesn't matter much if that's AFTER you are already late, does it? It's a big problem if the telephone rings when you are running(しそう) late.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks...

1) So is the implication of the second sentence "are you sure you want to miss out on your last/only chance by not applying/ordering/etc."?

2) Sorry, I'm totally lost. Would you be able to translate the whole thing?

5) a) Doesn't 遅刻する時 mean "when I am running late"?

b) I mentioned した as well because I get confused about the difference between modifying with dictionary-form verbs and modifying with -た verbs. I seem to recall occasions when the -た form was used even though the sense was effectively present-tense, or when the two were interchangeable in meaning. Could you shed any light on this?

c) I thought しそう was stem of する plus the そう ending, meaning "seeming/appearing like". Is that not right? If it is right, why is the "seeming/appearing" meaning required here?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
1)
Yes.

2)
Sorry, I did mistake. The first それ refers to 動詞た形, それ in それをしないまま and あれ, but the second one is for 次の行動. Your translation is correct, but それをしないまま means それをしないで.

5)
Sorry again. I meant "you are going to(しそう) be late". 遅刻しそう means you are not late yet. You might wake up late, but if you harry up, you will be in time. 遅刻するとき doesn't have this nunce of 遅刻しそうなとき.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks Toritoribe,

It is good that my translation of (2) is correct, but I'm sorry, I still cannot understand the following:

The first それ refers to 動詞た形, それ in それをしないまま and あれ, but the second one is for 次の行動.

Is it possible you meant:

The first それ refers to 動詞た形, それ in それっきり and あれ (in あれっきり), ...

?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
OOPS! I didn't even notice my mistakes. Yeah, I meant so...

Top Bottom