What's new

湯本館 / で / で / の / 時間に

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 私は湯本館に泊まっています。

What is 湯本館? I gather it may be some kind of spa building but I can't find it in the dictionary. Is it a standard term?

2. あんな妹達でよければ、ノシをつけてくれてやるのです よ。

Translation given: "If those little brats of sisters are good enough I'll make a gift of them to you!"

a) What is the function of で? My only guess is it means "by" in "if you are pleased by those sisters", but I'm not sure if よければ can be used like that.

b) Is there anything in the Japanese that gives a sense like "little brats"?

3. 旅館にあるタオルは、手ぬぐいで、ハンドタオル位の大 きさです。

a) Is で the copula?

b) Does the whole thing mean that the towels at the 旅館 are called 手ぬぐい, and are the size of hand towels?

4. This is in a passage describing the facilities available お風呂の外に:

体重を計るのもありますよ。

What is the purpose of の here? At first I thought it was a pronoun, but I find that interpretation a bit odd since there has been no previous mention of anything (such as weighing scales) that the pronoun could refer to.

5. 旅館での食事は、時間に朝食を取る部屋に行くと用意さ れています。

My translation: As far as 旅館 meals are concerned, if you go to the breakfast room in time then it (breakfast) will be prepared (for you)."

In this case does 時間に mean something like "in time" (i.e. not too late; while breakast is being served)?

湯本館 / で / で / の / 時間に

1. Proper noun. Check google.

2a. That's a common phrasing, from the copula.

2b. ガキ

3a. Yes

3b. It means they are 手ぬぐい and are about the size of hand towels. Keep in mind this is a traditional inn and the Japanese had things to wipe their hands on long before they had fluffy towels or had borrowed the word タオル into the language.

4. Nominalizer, think 物 here.

5. 食事は(食事の)時間に行くと......

Not "in time" but "at (meal)time"

Thank you,

1. Is 湯本 a placename and 湯本館 an inn/hotel located there?

2a. Is the subject of よければ the person referred to as "you" in the translation?

2b. Sorry, I meant is there anything in that Japanese sentence that I quoted that conveys the idea of "little brats"? I do not understand where the idea of "little brats" in the given translation comes from. It may be an imperfect translation.

4. Then does 体重を計るのもありますよ mean, more or less, "you can also weigh yourself"?

1)
It might be so. Or, there could be another 湯本館 in another place, since 湯本 can refer to the name of a place, and also can be a standard term "source of hot spring". (The place name is originally from this meaning.)

2) a)
"By" is a good translation, I think. ~でいい connotes "enough", and ~でよければ is a conditional form of it.

b)
That's probably from あんな "such".

4)
That's a pronoun for "facility".

Thanks for your further comments Toritoribe,

In (2a) is it possible to identify a subject for the adjective よければ? The basic meaning of いい is "good", and it's the sisters who are (or might be) "good", so presumably they should be the subject. However, that interpretation does not fit with any meaning of で that I can see at the moment. The only interpretation with で = "by" that I can see is "if you are pleased by those sisters", and then the subject of よければ would be the addressee, but then いい would have to mean "pleased (with/by)", or similar, and I'm not sure if it can.

いい can also mean "to feel/think good/comfortable/acceptable/...". Thus, the subject is the addressee.

Back
Top Bottom