What's new

欲望が形として溜飲が降りてきた

UsoToChinmoku

後輩
31 Jul 2014
「客観的に見せつけられることで、俺の中の欲望が形として溜飲が降りてきた。

I'm not exactly sure what's happening in the second part of the sentence. I assume it's just と+ て form of する connecting two clauses since there are two different subjects? But if the intention is "desire takes shape" shouldn't it be 「欲望が形を取って溜飲が降りてきた...」? Is there even such an expression "何々が形とする"?

Also, is 「溜飲が下りる/降りる」 a valid usage? The standard usage is 「溜飲が下がる」, no?

It's 俺の中の欲望が、形として、溜飲が降りてきた, i.e., 形として means concretely/physically. The writer might want to say "felt like vomiting".

Well, that's what I thought as well at first, but then I tried picking the syntax apart and it didn't make sense. ~として is an adverbial phrase, right? How can it modify 溜飲(が)? Or am I supposed to interpret the whole 「溜飲が降りてきた」 clause as a single verb construct? Is this grammatical?

(EDIT: and isn't 「溜飲が降りる」 supposed to express a positive emotion (気が晴れる)?)

That sentence is ungrammatical and doesn't make much sense anyway since the writer seems to misunderstand the original meaning of 溜飲.
Isn't "felt like vomiting" suitable to the context?

That sentence is ungrammatical and doesn't make much sense anyway since the writer seems to misunderstand the original meaning of 溜飲.
Isn't "felt like vomiting" suitable to the context?

It's hard to say, since the character is a bit of a sociopath, so it could go either way xD. I'd say it's more of an excitement mixed with slight disgust.

Honestly, I was more worried about the syntax . I mean it's subject+が+adverbial expression+subject+が+predicate. 欲望 has no predicate, unless the whole 「溜飲が降りてきた」 phrase is supposed to somehow act as the predicate? Is that even theoretically possible?

Though it's probably pointless to analyze this in the first place if it's ungrammatical. What was the author even thinking?

My initial interpretation is that the writer thinks 溜飲 means 吐き気, and 溜飲が降りてきた is supposed to mean 吐き気を催した. Therefore I translated it "felt like vomiting". If it means "I'm excited", 俺の中の欲望が形となって溜飲を下げた might be what the writer wanted to say.

Evidently, if the post is moved I don't get automatically subscribed to the new thread and consequentially don't receive notification e-mails. :(

My initial interpretation is that the writer thinks 溜飲 means 吐き気, and 溜飲が降りてきた is supposed to mean 吐き気を催した.

I see, but even if we, for argument's sake, assume he meant "felt like vomiting", because 欲望 has no predicate it would still be ungrammatical, right? Unless it was supposed to be two separate clauses with なって instead of して: 「俺の中の欲望が形となって、溜飲が降りてきた」.

So, 溜飲が降りる and 溜飲が下がる mean completely different things?

If it means "I'm excited", 俺の中の欲望が形となって溜飲を下げた might be what the writer wanted to say.

That, of course, makes sense, but not only do you need to change して to なって but also make the latter verb transitional. Probably too many differences in the original text to consider them typos. Most likely we'll never know.

Evidently, if the post is moved I don't get automatically subscribed to the new thread and consequentially don't receive notification e-mails.
You can get the information via "Alerts", the bell icon on the top left of the page, not via e-mail.

I see, but even if we, for argument's sake, assume he meant "felt like vomiting", because 欲望 has no predicate it would still be ungrammatical, right? Unless it was supposed to be two separate clauses with なって instead of して: 「俺の中の欲望が形となって、溜飲が降りてきた」.

So, 溜飲が降りる and 溜飲が下がる mean completely different things?
Yes and yes.

That, of course, makes sense, but not only do you need to change して to なって but also make the latter verb transitional. Probably too many differences in the original text to consider them typos. Most likely we'll never know.
Yeah, that's right, therefore all we can do is just to guess the meaning to suit the context.

Back
Top Bottom