What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

本を読んでいるうちに

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Hi,

いつも本を読んでいるうちに眠ってしまう。

Does this imply that falling asleep is intentional/desired? Or is it an accidental consequence?

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Accidental. I doubt you'd say 眠ってしまう if it were intentional. There's too much of an "oops" factor there.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks Glenn, the translation is "I always read myself to sleep" which didn't seem quite right to me.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
~てしまう is always "accidental", not only 眠ってしまう. (So it's often used with 思わず "accidentally / unwillingly / unexpectedly" as a set.)

Morphling

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks Glenn, the translation is "I always read myself to sleep" which didn't seem quite right to me.

The translation is accurate. Sure it's not the literal translation but it is the most natural in English than i always fall asleep unexpectedly while reading. Most sentences needs heavy interpretation, even more so in Japanese.

BrianLewis

先輩
Reaction score
You could say, "I always fall asleep while reading books." "Fall asleep" would not be volitional.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The translation is accurate. Sure it's not the literal translation but it is the most natural in English than i always fall asleep unexpectedly while reading. Most sentences needs heavy interpretation, even more so in Japanese.
I second eeky-san. He pointed out that the original Japanese sentence doesn't have the meaning "to read a book in preparation for falling asleep" at all, which the given English translation has. As is often the case with the textbook he uses now, it is not a good translation.

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Yeah, "I always read myself to sleep" is ambiguous at best on whether it's volitional.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
As is often the case with the textbook he uses now, it is not a good translation.
I've now graduated from textbooks to Japanese children's books! In fact, this is another sentence from tatoeba.org, which I think includes user-generated content and is not always 100% correct, though still a very useful resource.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Ah, not a book, but a site. Yeah, I referred to it. You often can "feel" the oddness of the translations in the site (and post them here), aren't you?

Morphling

先輩
Reaction score
本を読んでいるうちに /

Yeah, "I always read myself to sleep" is ambiguous at best on whether it's volitional.

Subject to interpretation I guess. Some people might interpreted it as reading in order to sleep which I didn't find at all.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Ah, not a book, but a site. Yeah, I referred to it. You often can "feel" the oddness of the translations in the site (and post them here), aren't you?
I try to read a few example sentences from that site each day (or most days), in addition to trying to make progress with my book. Some of the sentences that I don't fully understand, I ask about here.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Subject to interpretation I guess. Some people might interpreted it as reading in order to sleep which I didn't find at all.

I read it (the English) that sleep was expected/intended.

Top Bottom