What's new

日本語佐

Wladimir

先輩
24 Mar 2007
Can anyone help me... I have a few questions...

First: What is onyomi and kunyomi? I know that onyomi is Chenese reading and kunyomi Japanese, but what's the diference.
Second: How do I know when to use onyomi and when kunyomi... For example, word dream 夢 is yume on kunyomi and bou on onyomi...

Help, i'm totally confused :(

you would probably find these articles interesting: onyomi and kunyomi.

Unfortunately it's difficult to tell you exactly when to use what reading for what character, as is varies depending on the word. Even Japanese people aren't sure which reading to use at times. Generally, it's safe to say that the kunyomi reading usually is used when the character is by itself, or accompanied by hiragana (as in a verb or adjective), and oen of the onyomi is a logical choice when it is part of a kanji compound, with two or more characters (eg 夢 [ゆめ] vs 夢中 [むちゅう]). But like I said, even natives get confused sometimes, so it just takes practice getting used to it.

you would probably find these articles interesting: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#On.27yomi_.28Chinese_reading.29 and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#Kun.27yomi_.28Japanese_reading.29.
Unfortunately it's difficult to tell you exactly when to use what reading for what character, as is varies depending on the word. Even Japanese people aren't sure which reading to use at times. Generally, it's safe to say that the kunyomi reading usually is used when the character is by itself, or accompanied by hiragana (as in a verb or adjective), and oen of the onyomi is a logical choice when it is part of a kanji compound, with two or more characters (eg 夢 [ゆめ] vs 夢中 [むちゅう]). But like I said, even natives get confused sometimes, so it just takes practice getting used to it.
I allready read that at Wikipedia, but I didn't know when to use On and when Kun yomi...
Thanks anyway, I'll learn both pronouncions at same time and I'll see what to use... Well, if you didn't understand me, I explane on example: 夢 is dream and in Japanese there are three words for dream: ム, ボウ and ゆめ.
👍

Thanks anyway!
P.S. What means 夢中 (muchiyuu)

Back
Top Bottom