What's new

Question 旅行したとき写真を撮ってもらいました

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
14 Apr 2016
In the sentence above, why is 撮って in the ーて form? Since the sentence is in the past, should it be 撮った so it's in the past like もらいました?
Or is it just the main verb of the sentence who sets the time of action? Could you say the same sentence with 撮った instead? If so, what would it mean?

Check the expression "-te form of verb + もらう" in your textbook. (Incidentally, you've already come across a similar expression ~させていただく previously.)

In the sentence above, why is 撮って in the ーて form? Since the sentence is in the past, should it be 撮った so it's in the past like もらいました?
Or is it just the main verb of the sentence who sets the time of action? Could you say the same sentence with 撮った instead? If so, what would it mean?
Just to expand on what Toritoribeさん is saying, one of the absolute most fundamental functions of the -て form is to connect verbs to another clause, auxiliary verbs, etc. etc. etc.

撮っもらいました would be completely ungrammatical. You can't just stick the past form of verbs (or nonpast form of verbs, or past and nonpast) together haphazardly like that and form a grammatical sentence. I'm not saying this to be rude or anything, but if you're not clear how the -て form is used, you should probably look up that up in the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar or wherever (I believe you said in a previous post that you're using the DBJG. If not, sorry for my misunderstanding) and study it intensely at some point. It's a very important grammatical structure and you're probably missing quite a bit if you aren't entirely clear on how it's used.

So to get back to your original question:

No, you cannot say 撮っもらいました. You could say 撮りました, but obviously, this would have a different meaning than 撮ってもらいました.

Back
Top Bottom