先輩
3 Jan 2012
教えられていると言った方が正しい
So is this 教えられていると + 言った方が正しい?
''If something is teaching me the direction of what I said is correct?''
or I suppose: ''Something is teaching me what I said is correct''
Damn, analyze Japanese is so hard.

hint: ~た方が正しい is much like ~た方がいい
hint2: what does 教えられていると言った mean? (it's not the conditional)

~方が正しい is not the same as ~方がいい.
You need to pay attention to what the tense, voice and aspect of 教えられている is, as pointed out just yesterday.

I'm surrender but it seems to me this と isn't for quotation.
edit: Perhaps...''As far as I can tell what I say is correct''(?)

Last edited:
I think it makes sense. The other upper and under lines are:

理由などない。だがワシにはわかるのだ。
教えられていると言った方が正しい

相変わらずもったいつけた言う方しやがって

That's because you forcibly interpreted the sentence (or rather, just guessed the meaning of the sentence) to fit the context without considering the grammatical structure. That sentence CAN'T mean "As far as I can tell what I say is correct."

Sorry, I meant the grammatical structure is the same, not the meaning, maybe that wasn't clear. Other adjectives can fit into this pattern, too:
e.g. 電車で行った方が便利です

hint3: compare and contrast "わかる" and "教えられている"

Yeah, I knew that. I should have mentioned about the similarity in the structure.

Hint4:
教えられている is the present progressive passive.

That's "to say", as in the meaning of "It's 正しい to say 教えられている (rather than わかる)", not physically "to say".

I would rather say (the event happening) it can be (easily) told (by me) than understand (?)

Last edited:
That's not "told by me" but "I'm being informed". That's the key of your misunderstanding.

理由などない。だがワシにはわかるのだ。
教えられていると言った方が正しい

Hi I just came across this and I believe I have the same problem as the OP and am still kind of confused after readings the comments. what is the role of と言った方 here? Something like " It is correct to say that I am being informed" ??. Seems confusing with no context but it sounds weird when I translate it so I figure im doing something wrong.

You have to read it with the tone of sarcastic derision implied in it.

理由などない。だがワシにはわかるのだ。
教えられていると言った方が正しい

Hi I just came across this and I believe I have the same problem as the OP and am still kind of confused after readings the comments. what is the role of と言った方 here? Something like " It is correct to say that I am being informed" ??. Seems confusing with no context but it sounds weird when I translate it so I figure im doing something wrong.
That's と言った方が正しい, not と言うのが正しい.

It's correct to say 教えられている than わかる. / It's more likely 教えられている rather than わかる.

Back
Top Bottom