What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

友達なんていらない / 歌を歌う / 仕事先 / 語尾が / つもり

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Hi,

1. 彼は、お金があれば友達なんていらないと言っている。

My translation: "He says that if you have money, you don't need any friends."

Is this correct? I am not very confident. Even if broadly correct, do we know who is the subject of いらない? The speaker? People in general?

2. 彼は歌を歌うのがきらいみたいだ。

My translation: "It seems that he hates singing songs."

Is 彼 the subject of 歌う? Might he hate (listening to) other people singing songs?

3. This is a heading in a (blank) table of information about somebody:

今の仕事先(大学名、会社名など)

I assume the part in brackets means "university name, company name, etc.", but I can't figure out 仕事先. I find 先 such a confusing "word".

4. 「-osity」は語尾が「-ous」の形容詞から作られる抽 象名詞の語尾。

Translation given: "'-osity' is an abstract noun word ending created from the ending of an '-ous' adjective."

I'm puzzled by the grammatical structure of this. What is the function of 語尾が? To me, the sentence would make more grammatical sense if that was just deleted.

5. あなたの好きな日本人の有名人を一人選んで、その人に なったつもりでインタビューに答えてください。

My translation: "Choose a famous Japanese person that you like, and answer (the following) interview (questions), pretending to be him/her."

Is this OK? I am not very sure about つもり. Does その人になったつもりで mean (literally) "with the belief (i.e. pretence) that you are that person)?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
1)
Both "people in general" and "I" are possible, but "I" would be more common, I think.

2)
"He" is the subject. If he hates other people singing, the subject must be stated, just like 彼は他人が歌を歌うのがきらいみたいだ.

3)
仕事先 refers to the company where you work at, as same as 勤め先, in this case. It can also mean the field you are working in at the time depending on the context.

4)
The first 語尾 refers to 形容詞の語尾.

語尾が「-ous」の形容詞から作られる
(lit.) created from an adjective whose ending is "-ous".

5)
Yes.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Hi Toritoribe, thanks for your help.

So, in (4), can we say that "語尾が「-ous」" is a unit meaning "ending is '-ous'"?

I am never very comfortable with these uses of が which do not have a verb, and I don't think I have ever seen a grammatical explanation of how they work. Is it perceived that there is some omitted verb?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
1)
I have to correct my previous answer. お金があれば友達なんていらない is his words and it means "He says that if he has money, he doesn't need any friends."

4)
勝敗が不明の勝負
彼が学生の間は奨学金が出る。
バナナの実がまだ緑のうちに収穫する。

You can think these の are similar to である in meaning.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks, Toritoribe, yes, that's actually how I understood your answer to #1: "I" from the viewpoint of the person saying お金があれば友達なんていらない, but "he" from the viewpoint of the person reporting it.

Top Bottom