What's new

友達どころかモテる気配もありませんね

Catta

Kouhai
18 Mar 2016
I'm here again--hope I'm not annoying anyone yet, heh.
I've been working my way through reading my first Japanese novel and translating as I go along, but there's this one sentence that I'm not to sure about?:

"友達どころかモテる気配もありませんね"
I can't tell if she's flirting with him (which would fit her character quite well), or if she's actually making fun of him? (The ありません at the end throws me off, because I was taught it was a negative form.)

Context is that there's a new boy at school who was ordered to make new friends, and she's having a conversation with him. Please tell me if you need more info and I'll be happy to help!
Also, his reply directly after is "Not interested!" if that helps!

I've been working my way through reading my first Japanese novel and translating as I go along, but there's this one sentence that I'm not to sure about?:

"友達どころかモテる気配もありませんね"
I can't tell if she's flirting with him (which would fit her character quite well), or if she's actually making fun of him? (The ありません at the end throws me off, because I was taught it was a negative form.)

Context is that there's a new boy at school who was ordered to make new friends, and she's having a conversation with him. Please tell me if you need more info and I'll be happy to help!

Do you know what どころか means? Since the ありません threw you I suspect that may be the root of your trouble.

What is the novel?

どころか most commonly means that whatever follows will contradict what is said before I think? Such as "far from" or "rather than" or "let alone". Am I anywhere near giving the right answer? (*^▽^*)ゞ
Going simply, what I gather from the sentence is:
友達: Friend/Frienship
どころか:Whatever was previously expected will be betrayed by what immediately follows
モテる: Popular/Well liked
気配: Sign/Indication/Hint
も: As well/Also
ありません: To not be/It isn't
ね: Isn't it/Huh/just a casual particle
PLEASE forgive me if any of this is horribly off! I'm still practicing on translating Japanese in a way that sounds natural and makes sense in English, (which is why I'm challenging myself to translate this book), but just this one phrase I can't figure out how to write it in English where it can be understood!

The 'novel' can really be called a 'novel', but it's the longest I've acquired so far:
'せらおうち!
終わりのセラフ
4コマ'
Is the title of it--I decide to start off easy in my translating and start the other, MUCH thicker novel I have sometime further down the road!

どころか most commonly means that whatever follows will contradict what is said before I think? Such as "far from" or "rather than" or "let alone". Am I anywhere near giving the right answer? (*^▽^*)ゞ
Going simply, what I gather from the sentence is:
友達: Friend/Frienship
どころか:Whatever was previously expected will be betrayed by what immediately follows
モテる: Popular/Well liked
気配: Sign/Indication/Hint
も: As well/Also
ありません: To not be/It isn't
ね: Isn't it/Huh/just a casual particle
PLEASE forgive me if any of this is horribly off! I'm still practicing on translating Japanese in a way that sounds natural and makes sense in English, (which is why I'm challenging myself to translate this book), but just this one phrase I can't figure out how to write it in English where it can be understood!

The 'novel' can really be called a 'novel', but it's the longest I've acquired so far:
'せらおうち!
終わりのセラフ
4コマ'
Is the title of it--I decide to start off easy in my translating and start the other, MUCH thicker novel I have sometime further down the road!

"Why would I feel friendship toward you? There's nothing even the least bit appealing about you."

Or some phrasing which conveys the same sentiment. Whether the speaker is teasing or in earnest I leave up to your judgment.

"友達どころかモテる気配もありませんね"

What is the words preceding it?

"Why would I feel friendship toward you? There's nothing even the least bit appealing about you."

Or some phrasing which conveys the same sentiment. Whether the speaker is teasing or in earnest I leave up to your judgment.
Hmm, okay! Honestly I thank you SO much for your help! I'm thinking her statement is mostly sarcastic, just to get him riled up! Thank you thank you thank you!

What is the words preceding it?

The words said before are on a separate panel--here it is!:
" 優さんて本当に何処へ行くのも一人なんですね"
His reply:
"ついて来んなよ"
And then directly after is the sentence I originally posted, as her reply!

The words said before are on a separate panel--here it is!:
" 優さんて本当に何処へ行くのも一人なんですね"
His reply:
"ついて来んなよ"
And then directly after is the sentence I originally posted, as her reply!

What was your translation of those two?

Related to Mike-san's question, who do you think the subject of 友達どころかモテる気配もない is? We need the context to interpret it and that's the reason I asked the preceding sentence.

What was your translation of those two?
I think she's following him at this point, asking something like "Really, Yuusan, where are you going all alone?" and he says "don't follow me", wanting to be left alone. That's what I took from the phrases anyway!
Related to Mike-san's question, who do you think the subject of 友達どころかモテる気配もない is? We need the context to interpret it and that's the reason I asked the preceding sentence.
Ah, I understand! More context is that he's been sent to public school in order to make new friends. He's really grumpy about it, and says he doesn't want or need friends. The girl speaking (that is the one saying the line "友達どころかモテる気配もありませんね" TO the boy), was told to watch after him and make sure he actually tries to make friends!
As for more context immediately before the line in question: there isn't really any, considering each 'scene' is only four panels long!
BUT, I've written out the entire script from the scene in question! Maybe this will help to get the full story?:
Girl speaking:"優さんて本当に何処へ行くのも一人なんですね"
Boy (YuuSan) speaking: "ついて来んなよ"
Girl: "友達どころかチテる気配もあいませんね"
Boy, annoyed and blushing: "きょつ興味ねぇよ!"
Girl, in a flirty manner: "いくら美少女だからって私はダメですよ?"
Boy, flustered: "興味ねぇよ!!"
And that's the end of the scene, nothing more before or after!

"Really, Yuusan, where are you going all alone?"

You've misinterpreted the grammar on this one.

"You (always) go everywhere alone"
"Everywhere you go, you go by yourself, don't you?"

The speaker is making a statement, not really asking a question.

You've misinterpreted the grammar on this one.

"You (always) go everywhere alone"
"Everywhere you go, you go by yourself, don't you?"

The speaker is making a statement, not really asking a question.
Ah, that's right! Really thank you for phrasing this in a lot better way than my own: I know that ね can mean 'isn't that so?' or 'huh?', but it's not really a question expecting an answer, but I couldn't figure out how to say it in a way that would give that impression, so thank you a bunch!

Ah, that's right! Really thank you for phrasing this in a lot better way than my own: I know that ね can mean 'isn't that so?' or 'huh?', but it's not really a question expecting an answer, but I couldn't figure out how to say it in a way that would give that impression, so thank you a bunch!

That's not a problem. Do you understand that 何処へ行くのも is not a question? That's my main concern in asking about this.

Girl: "友達どころかチテる気配もあいませんね"
Boy, annoyed and blushing: "きょつ興味ねぇよ!"
友達どころかテる気配もあませんね (I don't know why you made typos here, unlike your previous post.)
きょ興味ねぇよ!(That's the small tsu, not the large one.)

The girl speaking (that is the one saying the line "友達どころかモテる気配もありませんね" TO the boy), was told to watch after him and make sure he actually tries to make friends!
She doesn't have such intention. She just describes her impression about him, from observing him.

Yep, I do! It just vaguely means 'going somewhere'/'to go anywhere'/ect.
You seem to be confusing "interrogative + も" and "interrogative + か".
cf.
何処かへ行く
go somewhere

友達どころかテる気配もあませんね (I don't know why you made typos here, unlike your previous post.)
きょ興味ねぇよ!(That's the small tsu, not the large one.)

She doesn't have such intention. She just describes her impression about him, from observing him.

You seem to be confusing "interrogative + も" and "interrogative + か".
cf.
何処かへ行く
go somewhere
Thank you so much for explaining! As I said, I'm still a beginner, and having someone helpful is really kind, so I thank you for it! I'm sorry that I'm such a mess sometimes.
You both have helped me a bunch, and I've finally got the scene figured out! *phew*
Thank you both again a million times, and thank you for continuing to help out people like me who sometimes have no idea what they're doing! It's really a great thing to do, and I wish you the best of days!

I moved our posts since it's not "a word or phrase" anymore.

So, what is your final translation of the line?

I moved our posts since it's not "a word or phrase" anymore.

So, what is your final translation of the line?
Ah, that's fine!
I'm thinking something like: "You don't even look like you can be well-liked, let alone make friends." or "Forget friends. You don't even look friendly" or any variation of the sort, still deciding on what would suit her character best ( ´ u ` *)

Seems like you don't get the meaning/function of どころか yet.

-どころか【-どころか】
((副助詞))
2 〔…はもとより〕

赤ん坊は走るどころか歩くこともまだできない
The baby cannot walk yet, much less run.

不親切どころかまったく残酷だ
He is not only unkind but positively cruel.

食物どころか水も無くなってしまった
It's not a question of food. We don't even have any water left.

野鳥観察に出掛けたが,つぐみどころかすずめも見えなかった
I went bird watching, but I could not find even a sparrow, to say nothing of a thrush.
どころかの英語・英訳 - goo辞書 英和和英

Read more carefully my previous post. That's just her impression or a result of her observation. There is no such advice or suggestion to him there.

Oh, I'm sorry. So would it be something more like: "There's no indication you'll make friends, let alone be popular"?
To me it doesn't seem like she's giving any suggestions or advice, more like a straightforward brutal honesty.
If I'm still very off, would you mind telling me how you personally would phrase it?

If I'm still very off, would you mind telling me how you personally would phrase it?

You're still off. Please refer to the two suggested translations I already gave earlier.

Back
Top Bottom