What's new

勇敢なる / 考えています / 何でもしてあげること / 読みと / いやあ

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. その勇敢なる騎士は進み出てその貴婦人の手にキスをする。

Translation given: "The brave knight steps forward and kisses the lady on the hand."

Is 勇敢なる a typo for 勇敢な?

2. This is a dialogue comprehension question:

菅原さんは、どうしたいと考えていますか。

Is the subject of 考えています the person answering the question or 菅原さん? I'm thinking the latter, but I'm not certain how to tell.

3. 何でもしてあげることが愛情だと思ってるんじゃない?もしそうならもう一度考え直したほうがいいよ。

a) I am stumped by 何でもしてあげること. What does it mean?

b) Also, is the subject of 思って the addressee?

4. グループで読みと意味を考えてください。

I think this basically means you should read the text in a group and think about the meaning, but how does the grammar of 読みと work? I could understand 読むと, but I the combination of 読み form and と does not look familiar.

上岡: 足立君、ごめんね、急に呼び出して。
足立: ううん、別に。
上岡: いやあ、実はね、ちょっと相談したいことがあって・・・。

a) Does 別に mean something like "I wasn't doing anything special" or "It's no big deal"?

b) I do get a bit confused about いやあ. In this case does it just mean something like "hey", or "well", i.e. a filler word or linking word without a great deal of meaning?

1)
No. That's the adnominal form of an auxiliary verb なり, which is the etymology of な. You can think it as a classical/written form of 勇敢な.

2)
It seems "both" to me, i.e., the speaker is talking to Sugawara.

3) a)
to do everything(what you want to do for someone, what someone wants to be done)

b)
Yes.

4)
the reading(s) and the meaning(s)

The speaker is talking about kanji, don't they?

5) a) b)
Yes.

Thanks Toritoribe.

The context of (2) is that the student is told to listen to a dialogue involving 菅原さん, and is then asked a series of questions, one of which is 菅原さんは、どうしたいと考えていますか. So, the question is directed to the student, not to 菅原さん. As far as I can tell, the subject of 考えています is either 菅原さん, or it is the student doing the listening comprehension, but I am not certain which.

Sorry, I still don't understand (3). If I plug in your text, I get "Do you think that to do everything (for someone) is love/affection?", but this does not really make sense in English. I do not grasp the point of what the speaker is saying.

4. Oh yes of course, silly me.

2)
Ah, I see. I thought it was a part of the dialogue, not the questions about it.
Yes, the subject of 考えている is Sugawara. It's the same as 思っている in this thread.

3)
Do you think to do everything what they want to be done is (your) love (for them)?

Last edited:
Toritoribe, can you think of any other way to say (3) in English? Unfortunately it is still not making any sense to me.

I think the implication is something along the lines of "Do you think that love is doing whatever someone else wants?".

If a child begs for a toy, his/her parent buys it. If a child begs to take him/her to the Disneyland, his/her parent accepts it. The parent thinks this is love for child.

Back
Top Bottom