What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

助動詞について

seasurfer

先輩
Reaction score
ら・り・る・れ・

I just realize about these 4 kinds of 助動詞。

Can anyone kindly tell me how to use and differentiate these 4 kinds of 助動詞...

So far, I only know that り is a past tense...る is the normal present tense...

Hope that someone can make an easy sentence for each one, as it will help my understanding, thanks in advance.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
I hope you're not as confused as I am, but it doesn't look that way.

り has nothing whatsoever to do with indicating past tense. And I can't understand why you think those 4 hiragana are 助動詞.

PaulTB

Manga Psychic
Reaction score
mikecash said:
り has nothing whatsoever to do with indicating past tense. And I can't understand why you think those 4 hiragana are 助動詞.
Which was my first reaction. (Well actually my _very_ first reaction was
助動詞ってなんだっけ。) My next reaction after the one you've set out was to wonder whether it was some obscure 古文 thing - although it didn't ring any bells so I doubt it. My last reaction was to leave it for someone else to answer - Thanks Mike :p

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
I think he's going for this:

ら, as in たら - conditional
り, as in たり - kind of an etc. for verbs. Also, I think it was the ancient past tense.
る - plain/dictionary form
れ, as in れば - conditional

But that's just my guess. If it is ancient Japanese, then I can't help. If not, then I think that this list is a not-so-good way of showing these things.

seasurfer

先輩
Reaction score
mikecash said:
I hope you're not as confused as I am, but it doesn't look that way.

I thought り is some sort of past tense in ancient Japanese? Isn't it...All these 4 hiraganas are meant for ancient Japanese, does anyone here know the meaning? Or is there any website that teach ancient Japanese?

Top Bottom